Help identify this wooden L6 prop by U.S. Propellers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identify this wooden L6 prop by U.S. Propellers

I am looking for more information on a vintage wooden propeller that was apparently made for an L 6. Here's the suggested key data: On one side of the propeller there is the manufacturer's name "U.S. Propellers, Inc, Cont. WS35AC 196, Plane L-6". On the opposide side it reads: "DES 76FGS64, SER AF4310272, RPM 2200, TC 787, ENG Franklin". It has an 8 bolt hub and measures 76" tip to tip. Looks like someone put wooden? plugs in 6 of the holes, the other two were used for through bolts to mount to a wall. There are two original manufacturer's decals/logos on either side of the hub that show some wear but are clearly legible and mostly intact.

Could this item be of interest/value to an aviation collector or restorer? Or is basically a wall decoration? I plead ignorance. This belonged to my brother, who was a pilot for American Airlines. P.S. Will add pics if this post elicits any interest.

Thank you.
    Last edited by exusnr76; 08-20-2013, 03:27 PM. Reason: Typo

It's unlikely that it has any value as an airworthy propeller, but it sounds like it's in the collectible category, depending on the condition of the decals and other factors.

One of those numbers indicate that it was built under a military contract in 1943.
    Dave

Comment

photo please

Welcome to the forum, and indeed, please post a photo of the prop, it makes it a lot easier to evaluate it.

Sincerely,
      Dennis Hicklin
      Seattle Washington.
      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
      X