ww1 german propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ww1 german propeller

Hi I have a wooden german propeller brought back from France by my great-uncle. He wa s a bomber pilot during 1917-18. The propeller is missing the middle part. The wings each measure approximately 2ft 4inches and have the iron cross on them. There is an embossed insignia which I think is from the factory.

It says around the top 'Germania Luftschraube' and then 'erste suddeutsche propellerwerke goppingen'

Any assistance with ID would be greatly appreciated. I didn't expect to find a forum like this on the subject. Thanks.

With the middle gone, you probably will not be able to identify it. There are just too many possibilities. Can you send or post a picture of the decals and/or the blades?
    Dave

Comment

There were four manufacturers who used the Iron Cross decal.

Germania
      Integral (!)
      Reschke; and
      Niendorf.

I have a prop to a 110 p.s Oberursel URII engine (Fokker Dr.1 or Fokker EV/ DVIII).

It is marked GL GmbH aka Germania Luftschraube (airscrew) Gesellschaft mit beschraenkter Haftung (limited company).

As Dave said, no chance of an engine/ aircraft with what's left.

Best wishes,

Grovetown.

Comment

german prop

Hi, Dave and Grovetown. Thank you very much for responding to me. Its a bit disappointing to find that I can't conclusively determine the type of plane this prop came from. I will send pictures as soon as I figure out how to do it.

With regard to what Grovetown sent to me, its really interesting. And makes me believe I have a Fokker prop. I did some research over the last couple of days and found my great-uncles name with 211 squadron of the Royal Flying Corps. He's listed as shooting down a Fokker on November 9, 1918. I'm guessing that he brought home the prop from the plane he shot down. The markings from Grovetown's Fokker are very similar to mine, "Germania Luftschrabe", etc.

Thanks for your help. Will send pictures when I can and any more info would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Re: german prop

Originally posted by dail02
          Hi, Dave and Grovetown. Thank you very much for responding to me. Its a bit disappointing to find that I can't conclusively determine the type of plane this prop came from. I will send pictures as soon as I figure out how to do it.

With regard to what Grovetown sent to me, its really interesting. And makes me believe I have a Fokker prop. I did some research over the last couple of days and found my great-uncles name with 211 squadron of the Royal Flying Corps. He's listed as shooting down a Fokker on November 9, 1918. I'm guessing that he brought home the prop from the plane he shot down. The markings from Grovetown's Fokker are very similar to mine, "Germania Luftschrabe", etc.

Thanks for your help. Will send pictures when I can and any more info would be greatly appreciated.
          Hi D

I don't want to temper your optimism; but I wouldn't make too many assumptions here.

First, one can't necessarily attribute particular makes of propeller to a particular type of aircraft in the same way one can't attribute a make of tyre to a make of car. What singles mine out over yours is not so much that it shows the maker, but that it shows the all-important engine type, from which we can discern the type of aircraft to which it would have been fitted.

Second, British claims for combat victories are wildly overstated - some cynically, some mistakenly. A common cause seems to stem from most air combat taking place over German lines. A British airman would see an aircraft go down smoking, to be claimed as a victory, for the other aircraft to land quite happily - out of the victor's sight - and not actually be a loss at all.

I have checked the German lists (Casualties of the German Air Service), and very few were lost on November 9th; and hardly any over the Western Front. Furthermore, the very comprehensive The Sky Their Battlefield doesn't show any victories, or air fighting, for 211 on that day. If we had your great uncle's name, it might be possible to shed more light...

Finally, 211 had a slightly checkered history - founded as a RNAS squadron, disbanded, refounded and only being in the RFC for three weeks in March 1918 before becoming part of the fledging RAF. It was a 'corps' squadron - recce and bombing - and in Nov 18, was flying DH9 bombers. Although plenty of DH9s were built, and the type saw plenty of service, it wasn't particularly highly regarded - and it is difficult to imagine one coming off best against one of the late war Fokkers.

Best wishes,

Grovetown.

Comment

german prop

Thanks Grovetown

My great uncle's name was WF or William Blanchfield, 1st Lieutenant. He is listed in the rolls of the 211th squadron as having shot down a Fokker VIII, serial number E8880 on November 9th, 1918. And yes he was a bomber pilot. The victory was also accredited to his observer.

If you could check that out I would be grateful.

He later became a U.S. Air Mail Pilot and died in a crash in 1924. The Smithsonian has a webpage put together on him.

Thanks a lot

John

Comment

John,
              If you'd like to send me the photos, click on the email button at the bottom of this page and atttach them. I like to look at decals! I'll add them to your post.
              Dave

Comment

Re: german prop

Originally posted by dail02
                Thanks Grovetown

My great uncle's name was WF or William Blanchfield, 1st Lieutenant. He is listed in the rolls of the 211th squadron as having shot down a Fokker VIII, serial number E8880 on November 9th, 1918. And yes he was a bomber pilot. The victory was also accredited to his observer.

If you could check that out I would be grateful.

He later became a U.S. Air Mail Pilot and died in a crash in 1924. The Smithsonian has a webpage put together on him.

Thanks a lot

John
                Hi John

Sadly, the 'facts' don't quite fit the facts.

First, E8880 was the serial number of a DH9 on the 211 roster.

Second, no Fokker DVIIIs saw frontline - combat - service.

The DVIII was a revised design of the EV. It was introduced in October 18 - but none reached frontline German squadrons before the war's end. The EV was very similar in appearance - but these were all grounded in August 1918 because of structural flaws. They didn't see service again - other than to re-appear in the DVIII guise, which didn't fight.

I'm not saying Wm Blanchfield (and Lole, his observer) didn't have a victory on November 9th; but if they did, it certainly wasn't a Fokker DVIII (or EV).

Best wishes,

Grovetown.

Comment

Working...
                X