Identity of propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identity of propeller

I would very much appreciate help to identify a propeller which is to be donated to the Irish Air Corps Museum. I understand that the following is marked on the propeller
    I/V/743/I Genet Major 7cyl D6 5T P.4 7.5 FT
    On the other side .....R3/LT/857 22-6-33

It has been mentioned to us that it was from an Avro Avian but I believe that the Avian had a Cirrus engine not the Genet Major.
    We are trying to establish the identity and the history of this propeller and hope that you can help us as you have previously.
    Kind regards
    Tony Kearns

Greetings Tony,

Welcome back. Your info about it coming from an Avro Avian is likely to be correct.

The middle part of one of your numbers is Y743, an Avro prop drawing number which is for a seven cylinder Genet Major used on the Avro Avian IV and two other Avro aircraft, the Avro Sports and the Avro Cadet. I assume that these latter two types are essentially Avians as well.

With kind regards,

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Thanks Bob and good to hear from you.
      That is great information, it has just been suggested to me that the first aircraft on the civil register Avro Avian EI-AAA was the aircraft associated with this propeller. However EI-AAA was a mark IIIA and had a 95 hp Cirrus engine, so would I be correct in saying that this propeller was not fitted to Avian EI-AAA ?
      Many thanks Bob for this and the other help accorded to us at the Museum. We have started to collect propellers as used on Irish Air Corps as well as Civil aircraft whenever we come across them. We just do not have the likes of your expertise, thanks again and best regards.
      Tony

Comment

Tony,

I think it unlikely.

The Cirrus and Genet were produced by different companies which suggests that the hubs were probably of different dimensions.

Furthermore, the Cirrus drove the prop via the crankshaft in the conventional way whereas the 7 Cylinder Genet Major had reduction gearing twixt crankshaft and prop, which almost certainly required a different design of prop.

However, it's remotely possible that someone somewhere managed to fit a Cirrus prop to a Genet engine! Or vice-versa. Occasionally I come across a wooden prop with two sets of bolt holes. But this was very rare. And you should discount it.

With kind regards,

Bob
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Thanks once again Bob great help as always. I will work on that.
          Keep up the great work
          Best regards
          Tony

Comment

Working...
          X