Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hartzell ID wanted

Hi,
    Like everyone else here, I'm looking for information on a propeller.
    This is a Hartzell, Design # 455, Serial # 11285, about 8" long. Its canvas covered and painted gray. It looks like it may have been repainted but was previously gray, although a slightly lighter shade.
    I'm going to try to attach some photos.
    Thanks for any help.
    Jon Lee
    Attached Files

Well, it doesn't seem to be on the list of common Hartzell props, but I have another listing at home and will try to check it out tomorrow when I'm at my home computer.
    Dave

Comment

Thanks for checking your info. It would be nice to find out if it fit something of interest. My wife wants me to strip it and varnish it to hang on the wall, but I hate to destroy its originality.
      Jon Lee

Comment

Well, I couldn't find any reference to that drawing number, so it may be hard to identify at this point.

I definitely would not try to refinish it in any way. You will just ruin it. Gently clean it with some turpentine then rub it with linseed oil and let it dry, then repeat the linseed oil. It will look much better without losing its value, and it may still be identifiable. Are there any other numbers stamped anywhere?
        Last edited by Dave; 07-10-2009, 09:02 AM.
        Dave

Comment

I have not found any numbers other than the design and serial numbers. The propeller is clean enough that numbers would show if they were there. I specifically checked around the center, as other posters mention numbers in that area. Is the gray finish something that would be typical of a Navy aircraft?
          Thanks for the advice on care and feeding.
          Jon Lee

Comment

I can't answer the paint question. Clearly some were painted at the factory before decals were applied (as it looks yours was), but I've never seen any consistent pattern of that to tie it to a specific usage. The drawing number is the key. I just don't have a specific reference to it. Maybe Hartzell could help, but don't hold your breath.
            Dave

Comment

Working...
            X