Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Early Paragon Propeller from crash site with proof.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mtskull View Post
    For what it is worth several years later, having made a detailed comparison between photos of various Curtiss JN-4 aircraft and the aircraft in the photo, in my considered opinion the crashed aircraft is definitely a JN-4.
    As there are features of the propeller that do not correspond with a JN-4 item, I would very respectfully question whether the information concerning the history of the propeller can be verified as accurate.
    When you say "the aircraft in the photo" I presume that you mean this photo:

That looks like a Curtiss Jenny to me, but the JN4 was developed around 1916 and the propeller in your pictures was manufactured around 1912. The Jenny was powered by either a Curtiss OX5 or a Hispano Suiza (Hisso) engine, and both of those used a hub that had 8 bolt holes, not six.

There is absolutely NO reason to believe that the propeller piece that you have pictured above has anything to do with the JN4 or with the plane in the picture above. It's from an earlier aircraft that likely can never be accurately identified. You can't believe most of the stories that are attached to items like this. Some of them, like this, are implausible in almost every respect.

Comment

David, thank you; I agree with all of that.
      Just for clarification, as the form of words I used might have led to a misunderstanding; it was another forum member, not me, who posted the original propeller and aircraft photos; I was just offering my humble opinion, having recently joined the forum and having taken an interest in the “mystery”.
      Last edited by Mtskull; 08-27-2019, 01:10 AM.

Comment

My apologies, as it was a misunderstanding due to my quick re-read of an old thread. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X