Is this genuine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this genuine?

I have a propellor which claims to be from a 1929 Schneider Trophy Supermarine S6.
    It appears to be made for an anti-clockwise rotation engine - could it be a Rolls Royce 'R' type?
    It has 10 bolt holes of 11/16ths inch diameter, a bolt hole circle of 8 and 3/4 in and an overall diameter of 10ft 8in, with 26 in of copper sheath on each leading edge.
    Any information gratefully received!

It's certainly a possibility, although I don't have any of the technical information to know. The 10 bolt holes is somewhat unusual, so if you find that the hub to that engine had 10 holes instead of 8, the odds are even better.

Bob Gardner may check in on this thread, and he certainly has more knowledge about the European built engines and propellers. Sometimes it's necessary to actually visit a museum where an original is displayed and compare the dimensions with yours. It certainly has a length that might be consistent.
    Dave

Comment

More information

I've discovered that the previous owner, who bought it in 1986, believed it to be from a Hawker Hart light bomber. It was given to him by a character named 'Nobby'Clark, an ex-RAF pilot stationed at some time at RAF Brawdy.

Comment

Working...
      X