Question About a Mark on a Jenny Paragon Propeller "Brodie"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About a Mark on a Jenny Paragon Propeller "Brodie"

Hello everyone, this Paragon propeller is from a friend. He was a bomber pilot in WWII and he started collecting aviation pieces after his deployment. His father gave this propeller to him. Apparently the propeller came off of a Jenny that had to do a forced landing (the tips of the propeller are chewed up a bit).

My question is about a mark on this propeller. It looks like it's the name "R. Brodie" or perhaps "P. Brodie". I couldn't find any images showing similar marks
    on Paragon propellers. Is this possibly the pilot's name? Any ideas? You can see the mark that I am talking about in the first two pictures. I've included pictures of the other marks on the propeller as well. Cheers.
    Attached Files

As a passing thought, one or two British prop makers in WW1 stamped the name of the man who made the prop on the hub in this style. One was the maker Darracq where I have recorded several names. Darracq were car makers recruited by the British Government to make props. Up to the start of WW2, several makers of the most elite cars stamped the name of the man who assembled the engine etc somewhere visible on the block or head.

I don't know if any American makers did this. Dave Bahnson will know.

With kind regards,

Bob
    Last edited by Bob Gardner; 01-16-2016, 02:03 PM.
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

I don't know for sure, either, but I've seen that same name on other Paragon propellers. I'd be more inclined to think that it was the name of the inspector rather than the person who "built" the prop, because typically the construction involved a number of people followed by a final inspection. I can't imagine that it would have anything to do with a pilot who used it.

Comment

Hi,

It seems (IMHO!) that there is a lamination missing. The marks you show are on the face of a lamination normally covered by another.
        In this case, it could be marks on pre shaped planks use to construct the propeller: it would be VERY interesting...
        Or marks made after the lamination was missing for whatever raison...

PM

Comment

Not sure about that, Pierre-Michel. I think all the laminations are there (note the other stamping next to R. Brodie) and I have seen that name on the exterior of intact Paragons.
          Dave

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Hi,

Buzzetti, could you post a pic showing all the surface with "P Brodie" and "8298" at one end and "RIGHT HAND" at the other end? And the same place viewed from the side?

Regards,
              PM

Comment

Working...
              X