Curtiss MF Flying Boat Propeller tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curtiss MF Flying Boat Propeller tip

My great uncle was stationed at Pensacola NAS in WW1 as an instructor on the Curtiss MF Flying boats. The same type that is at the entrance of the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola. I have a tip of a prop that was reportedly from a plane he crashed/damaged. It was manufactured by US Aero Propeller Co in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I will try to post a photo as well when I can figure out how to make it smaller! Is anyone familiar with this type of prop? Thanks!

Typically, propellers can't be identified by the tips alone. Even what appears to be a perfect match may still be one of hundreds of similar designs.

If you are having trouble with the image size, email it to me via the link at the bottom of this page and I'll compress it. See if you can get a good quality close-up of the decal.
    Dave

Comment

Photo of Curtiss MF Flying Boat Prop Tip

Attached is a photo of the prop tip that reportedly came from the Curtiss MF Flying Boat in the other photo that is attached. The pilot was my Great Uncle Cy Cosgrove who was Naval Aviator #2874 (I think that number is correct).

PS Thanks Dave!
      Attached Files

Comment

It does look like a left hand rotation, which would be more likely a pusher configuration on most engines used at that time, so at least that piece of information fits.
        Dave

Comment

Working...
        X