WW1 BE2C LANG PROP - more Q's than A's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 BE2C LANG PROP - more Q's than A's

Hello, and thank you for such an amazing site! Not sure how Dave, Bob & the rest find the time, but am very glad they do. I don't seem to have got much else done in the last few days though... So many fascinating posts.
    I have a butchered prop (boss only) that has been in the family for years (30+) but we don't know whence it came. Sadly we have to find a new home for it but I see that Bob is sometimes kind enough to ask users for details for his database, & thought you might like a look at it. I'll attempt to add a couple of photos, but the marks are :-
    ON FACE OF BOSS:- 80 H.P. RENAULT
    L.P.8074.
    B.E.2.C.
    L.P.790.
    AT BASE OF BLADE STUMPS:-
    W.D (arrow underneath pointing upwards)
    13302 (immediately below W.D arrow)
    A.I.D 21Z (in a box)
    A.I.D IV " " "
    A.I.D IV " " " (could also be IX or IY, v. indistinct)
    The centre bore is 2.75" dia & 5.75" deep. 8 stud holes.

So, my amateur research tells me that it's probably quite an early BE2C, as it had the 80 HP Renault engine, but then I've also got into a tail spin ( so to speak) after reading that these early props were mostly made of walnut, whereas I think mine is mahogany, which perhaps indicates a date towards the end of WW1. That said, I'm not absolutely certain of the wood type. So I'm guessing at around 1915, but feeling less certain the more I look into it. Do all props generate so many questions?!
    The L.P. numbers are Lang Propellers, I think, but why are there 2 different numbers? Also, why are there 2 or even 3 Aeronautical Inspection Dept (or Directorate!) stamps? Might it have had to be reinspected following a crash? There are signs of crash damage at the base of 1 blade, we've always imagined this was from its terminal flight. Also some bubbling to (original varnish?) on one elevation only, so possibly crashed AND burned, poor sod.
    Lastly, is the War Dept serial no. just a random number given to the prop, or is it possible to find out anything more about the plane itself? I'd really like to give the new owner as much info as possible as it's such a tantalising piece of history. Sorry this is so long, if anyone hasn't fallen asleep yet & would like to comment, I'd be really interested. Keep up the good work! Rebecca. p.s. Bob, we've only ever used wax polish on it. So sad it's not complete!

30th November 2010 - p.p.s. I forgot to say that there are no decals. Does anyone know the reason for the two different LP numbers please?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by toomuchstuff; 11-30-2010, 06:38 PM.
Working...
X