Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need informations

Hi everybody,

I have from my grand-father who was a french pilot during WW2 an old propeller which i keep in my desk. I guess this is the right place for me to obtain further information about it.

Here is what is written down on the prop :

INTERGALE * B.S.G.D.G. * PATENT * D.R.P. *

I already know what mean most of it but i still cannot figure on which aircraft or engine this kind of prop was used.

Does anyone can help ?

Thanks[/img]

You would need the drawing number or series number. It can't be identified just from that information. The number should be stamped somewhere around the hub.
    Dave

Comment

Your prop is French and probably pre-WW1. Lucien Chauviere became the leading prop maker around 1910, due to extensive and ground breaking research. He used the trade name of Integrale.

This prop is made for international use and carries the 'patent' mark in French, English and German. By 1912, Chauviere had set up national companies in England and Germany which had their own national markings. This probably made use of the international decal obselete but doubtless there was some overlap. So one could suppose that your decal dates from the pre-war years.

As an aside, there is some evidence that Chauviere also had offices or the equivalent of main dealers in Austria, Russia and Italy. These might possibly also have been national companies. I don't yet fully understand his network. But this does not relate to your prop. If any forumite can add to our knowledge, write now, right now!

As Dave Bahnson says above identification will come from the markings stamped into the hub. The French wrote them in abbreviations so short as to be a code. Gn for example will indicate a Gnome engine; Nie for Nieuport; Cau for Caudron. The all important number is the serie numero. Later in the war this was preceded by the word serie or ser, but pre-war was often just a number. So we need details of every letter and number stamped on the hub; and best of all several photographs.

With regards to everyone,

Bob
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Thanks gents for these details !

I have made some detailed pictures of the prop, but i do not know how to post pictures ...

I you want, i can send these pics to any of your regular email adress. Let me know if one of you or both are available for that matter.

Thanks again,

Yann.

Comment

Hello Yann,

Send them to me at my e-mail address, using the link below or the e-mail address on my website and I'll post them.

With regards,

Bob
          Bob Gardner

Comment

Thanks bob,

I sent one pic on your email adress (the picture weights 3Mo)

I'll send more but lighter ones !

Comment

hallo Yann,

I got the lighter ones but not the first one. Can you send it again but a little bit smaller?

I should be able to give you an answer on what aircraft this prop is from, tomorrow.

Avec le respect,

Bob
              Bob Gardner

Comment

Just forget the big one, it was to large to fit in my mailbox. I think anyway that the small pics should be good enough to be used.

Thanks again for your help

Kindest regards,

Yann.

Comment

Yann,

I have posted your photographs below. The prop is from the Dorand AR1 powered by the 170hp Renault engine and dates from 1917. The aircraft was something of an emergency substitute for the Farman aircraft used until 1916 and was designed by Colonel Dorand at La Section Technique de l'Aeronautique (STAe), which was the French equivalent of the British Royal Aircraft Factory (RAF). The letters AR1 indicate Aeronautique.

The letters on the hub are, from the top;
                  The Serie number (2463) which identifies the use of the prop and the maker.
                  The serial number of the prop
                  The single letter to the left might be D for Dorand or R for Renault
                  SFA is the airworthiness stamp.

With regards,

Bob

Bob Gardner

Comment

A thousand of thanks for your help Bob !

I sent a message on your email.

Regards,

Yann.

Comment

Working...
                    X