S4C prop value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S4C prop value

I have an original, untouched, S4C propeller which, due to the economy, I am forced to sell. Original "alligatored" shellac finish, nice Lang Propeller decal. I need to get an estimate of its value. One online source (looks the most reliable of all) states that only 50 of the Thomas Morse S4Cs were produced, which, hopefully would make this at the very least, scarce. Any help from out there? Also selling a replica of a Classic Roadster "Marlene"' (you fellow carnuts know this one.) Thanks much for any input.

The S4C prop is a true WWI era propeller with an interesting history (US Air Service, postwar barnstorming, Hollywood movies, etc.) and several desirable features. However there were far more "C" model Tommies built than 50. Additionally, there were apparently a LOT of these propellers produced under government contract during the 1917-18 period. The length of service for a new propeller was often very short during this early period of aviation, and many additional spare propellers were generally ordered for each airframe. Even still, in the case of the props for the 80 hp Le Rhone rotary engines, propeller production got unusually far ahead of airframe production. These propellers were produced principally by Hardman, Peck & Company, a piano manufacturer in NY. However, many of the other major propeller manufacturers of the time seem to have gotten a share of the S4C prop contract as well. The surplus 80 hp Le Rhone props were readily available to the civilian market during the 1920’s. In the 1960’s these props began to appear on WWI restored and replica aircraft.

For the reasons mentioned above, today the S4C prop is probably among the most common of the WWI-vintage propellers (which still makes it rare by any definition).
    How much is it worth? As the experts always say on this site, condition is very important, and without photos I wouldn’t venture a guess. However, I can tell you that going back 4-5 years on eBay, one or two nice Tommie props come up for auction each year and the sold price usually ranges from about $1400 to just over $2000. Condition can bring that way down or take it somewhat higher. The current economy may also have an effect on price.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
    X