Fiat 260 HP - Propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiat 260 HP - Propeller

Hi there. New to this site,I would appreciate any help in identifying a propellor
    which has been in my garage now for over 45 years.details are.
    260hp-fiat-d2900-p1730-noa1659-8 bolt-2369stamped on face-1488n100-
    hub dia-265mm-hub depth 150mm bore dia 100mm I would be interested in as much information as possible as i intend to restore the prop a put it on the wall in the office.maybe even trace its history back to an actual plane.
    Many Thanks Frank.

It's extremely unlikely that you will be able to trace it back to an actual plane, and it may be hard to identify it beyond an engine usage.

260hp-fiat- Engine
    d2900- Diamter 290 cm
    p1730- Pitch 173 cm
    noa1659- May be "Number A1659", which may be a model number
    2369 ??
    stamped on face-1488n100 ???

The last two may be production numbers.

If you can, please try to post a picture. I wound NOT "restore" it unless it has already been destroyed by an earlier attempt to do that. See this thread.

Just a quick Google of "Fiat 260 HP engine" indicates that your propeller could date all the way back to as early as 1916, but further research on that would need to clarify the many possibilities. You should not "restore" it under those conditions, especially.
    Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave I will try to add a picture this week
      Regards Frank

Comment

Greetings Frank,

A1659 is the drawing number indicating a prop designed by Vickers for the DH4 or DH9 aircraft in 1917-1918. The engine was a stop gap because of the shortage of the Rolls Royce engines intended for these aircraft.

1488 probably reads G1488 or possibly G488. These are batch nos and date from mid 1919 and late 1917 respectively. Could you have another look and tell us if you can find the G?

Afternote; Batch G486 was for DH4 props, and as these were issued in groups of several batches it is likely that your number reads G488 and dates from late 1917.

With kind regards,

Bob
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Re read numbers

Hi Bob
          I am also N of England, You are correct The number is in fact
          G488N100 it is stamped twice in the face.Is it possible to trace these numbers to an actual plane if so where would one start.
          Many Thanks Frank.

Comment

'Afternoon Frank,

There are few instances where a prop serial number can be traced to an individual aircraft. Props at this time were consumables to some extent. Generally aircraft were delivered with one prop on the aircraft and two spares.

The rough ground that aircraft used for take-off and landing, and enemy action, appear to have consumed a large number of props per aircraft. I have an account of one pilot who used five in seven days. And although this was extreme, at least ten props were made for most aircraft produced.

Are there any decals on your prop? And if you can find some small squares tell me, if you can, the number in each square under the letters AID. These are airworthiness stamps and I am recording all that I can find for my research database. The squares are about the size of your little finger nail.

With kind regards,

Bob
            Bob Gardner
            Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
            http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
            X