Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,
    Originally posted by Anne Graham View Post
    Hi , I wonder if anyone is still interested in my six blade propellor? I did post a picture but havnt heard anything more.
    Don't know what others thinking, but for me, I am very interested. But can't tell anymore before viewing detailed close up pictures of all sides of the hub (one of each flat sides, and one of each "interblades" (so 2 + 6 pictures).

If you can't post them on the forum, send them to my email (pmdecombeix at yahoo dot com) and I will put them here.

Regards,
    PM

Comment

I'm definitely still interested but I still have never seen anything like it.

Comment

Im interested, I didnt realise you wanted to sell it.

Comment

'Morning Anne,

As Pierre-Michel says, what we need is details of any markings on the hub that would indicate who made it. It does match the description of the experimental prop made by Grahame White and shown to King George V. If we can identify it as such, your prop would be of minor historical importance, although this doesn't make it particularly valuable. If you or your sister intends to sell it we can offer advice on how to do so. The RAF Museum has a display about Grahame White.

With kind regards,

Bob
          Bob Gardner
          Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
          http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Thank you for the replies. My sister is no longer with us and her house will be sold. I am trying to arrange for the prop to be brought up to my house. My contact in Somerset is not very reliable and despite requests has not sent me anymore pictures. If and when I manage to get it here I will be able to take more pictures, though will have to borrow a camera as mine was stolen in London last week along with my bag and all its contents. Happy days!

Comment

Originally posted by Anne Graham View Post
              Thank you for the replies. My sister is no longer with us and her house will be sold. I am trying to arrange for the prop to be brought up to my house. My contact in Somerset is not very reliable and despite requests has not sent me anymore pictures. If and when I manage to get it here I will be able to take more pictures, though will have to borrow a camera as mine was stolen in London last week along with my bag and all its contents. Happy days!
              Anne, I'm sorry to hear about your sister, and sorry that anyone would steal your purse. Yikes.

Good luck with your propeller. Pierre and Bob are on your side of the ocean and should be able to help with its disposition.
              Dave

Comment

Good Afternoon Anne,

I am sorry to hear you have been so in the wars. I send my best wishes. I live in Yorkshire. If you need help with the prop, in moving it or in photographing it, I can come and help.

With kind regards,

Bob
                Bob Gardner

Comment

That is very kind, thank you. I may have a contact here who will help and will wait to hear from him. He will be in touch soon and I will let you know. I have been looking at my father's career on Google and his short obituary is in the Flight magazine archive for 1949. You may know better than I something about these firms. I was born in Cricklewood which is mentioned. He died when I was young and I dont remember much about it. I know he was involved with skywriting with Major Savage.and Captain Lingham. I also have a signed portrait given to him by an artist called Wilton Williams who was active in the twenties and thirties. I would very much like to hear any details of the firms mentioned in the obituary. Thank you again for your good wishes. Anne

Comment

Anne,

What was your father's name?

After note; Ah! I think I have found the obit. James Graham? If so the links to the famous Heston company and Comper aircraft, both of the 1930's won't help with researching the six blade prop. Did you father work in the Royal Aircraft Factory or with Graeme-White?

Bob
                    Last edited by Bob Gardner; 05-29-2011, 10:51 AM.
                    Bob Gardner

Comment

Sorry I have no idea. I have a few photos of him in hanger type places with planes but I have no idea where they are.

Comment

The magazine article says he was at Farnborough in 1915 and this would be the Royal aircraft factory?

Comment

Anne, Yes, The Royal Aircraft Factory (known in 1915 as the RAF) was responsible for the condition of new aircraft and all things aviation such as wheels, propellers, guns etc. It had a team of inspectors which inspected every type of new item. They were in the Aeronautical Inspection Department and each inspector had a stamp which he used to stamp an item, thereby certifying that it was airworthy. Your father seems to have continued in this role after the war when he was the chief inspector of the Heston Company.

Bob
                          Last edited by Bob Gardner; 05-29-2011, 02:25 PM.
                          Bob Gardner

Comment

Anne, a bit of googling reveals that Major Jack Savage was apprenticed to Claude Grahame-White in 1909 or 1910 so we have a link from GW to your father which might indicate that your prop is the one shewn to King George V in 1917, although the link is very tenuous and falls far short of proof!

Bob
                            Bob Gardner

Comment

Anne,

I am about to send part three of my book on British prop makers of WW1 for printing, which includes a description of the Company of Claude GW, but have held it back in view of the tentative link above so that I might include a photo of your prop, if you would allow such a thing; and perhaps of your father in one of the photographs? Might your sister have had any of your father's papers or additional photographs?

With kind regards,

Bob
                              Bob Gardner

Comment

Of course you may use the photo of the prop. I do not have a photo of my father with it, only with Major Savage and Captain Lingham with a plane . Not very informative probably. That is really interesting about the apprenticeship. How did you find it? I will have another look for photos in the spare room. There was one I think of him and Jim Mollinson loading his plane but I cant put my hand on it at the moment. Will let you know if I find anything else that might be of interest. It is getting interesting!

Comment

Working...
                                X