Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heine Prop 3.25m Rolls Royce identification

Hi Dave (and others),

I'm new here. I have read some of the threads before posting this message and know some things already but I really would like to find out on what type of plane the prop I have bought today was used.

I bought the prop on an auction and paid in total 750 euro's. I want to use it as decoration in my house. I've always wanted one, just moved and came across this one. I don't want to sell it.

Pictures:
    https://plus.google.com/photos/11519...40203146102161

Markings:

350 PS
    ROLLS ROICE
    D 324
    H 235
    HEINE
    N36917

It looks like it is in original condition.
    The metal is burst at both blades at the leading edge.
    There is a sticker with the Heine logo on both blades.

I hope you have some usefull info. I'm from holland, maybe it was used on a Fokker?

Maybe you have some advice on how to treat the prop, for example should I try to remove some of the scratches or leave it like it is?

Alvast bedankt! (I've read you know some dutch )

I think the metal sheathing and the decal both point to a post WW1 application. Bob Gardner wrote the book on German props. Maybe he'll have a better set of details.
    Dave

Comment

I think so too. In other words, for civil aviation?

Comment

Probably, in my opinion.
        Dave

Comment

Thanks, Dave.
          I hope Bob has some info for me.
          I've checked many websites but cannot find a plane powered by a 350 hp RR engine. I'm hoping for a Fokker, flown by the KLM royal dutch airlines, my employer

Comment

Hello,
            Is it possible that the prop is from a seaplane?
            Copper edges ,counterclockwise rotation?
            So pusher prop?
            Grtz

Comment

I haven't found any new clues..... Anyone?

Comment

Goede middag,

Thank you for this information which I have added to my database.

360hp and 350ps indicates the Rolls Royce Eagle VIII engine developed for the civilian market from 1922 to 1928. It was almost entirely used in British aircraft but it was also used in Germany by Dornier in the Do E and the Do Wal.

Did you buy the prop in the Netherlands? It was also used in the Van Berkel W-B which probably indicates Water Boot a single engine sea plane designed for use in the Dutch East Indies. This is the most likely origin of your prop.

Anthony Fokker used 400hp Liberty engines, and 450hp Napier Lion engines in several designs such as the Fok XIII, and was a major user of Heine props, so an outside possibility might be that he tried the RR Eagle as well, but I have found nothing to prove this supposition of mine.

Met vrienderlijke groeten,

Bob
                Last edited by Bob Gardner; 04-13-2014, 10:14 AM.
                Bob Gardner
                Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
                http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Thank you for the info.
                  I bought the prop in the Netherlands at an auction, without any documentation or even some info from the previous owner. I'm going to try to get in contact with them, maybe they have some info.
                  The suggestion of Geertse, the the prop has an counterclockwise rotation, does that indicate a pusher prop? In that case I should look for a plane with a RR eagle VIII engine with a pusher prop?
                  Never heard of Van Berkel, so I have some study to do. Thank you!

Comment

The van Berkel w-b and the dorniers all have four blade props in the pictures I find with google....

Comment

Two points;

The RR Eagle was made for the British WW1 giant bombers which were twin-engined and hence the engines were made in both LH and RH rotation to counter swing on take off. So the rotation of your prop might not be relevant.

Your prop might be half a four bladed prop. Four bladed props in WW1 were often made of two two-bladed props bolted together, because two of these props occupied much less space than one four bladed prop. As the van Berkel W-B was apparently designed for use in the Dutch East Indies, this solution would have made transporting props there easier and cheaper. But this is a guess on my part.

Bob
                      Bob Gardner

Comment

Points taken

In case I find something new I will let you know.

Bedankt!

Comment

We would be delighted to hear about anything you discover.

Bob
                          Bob Gardner

Comment

Working...
                          X