Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PLEASE HELP ME IDENTIFY THIS HARTZELL PROPELLER!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLEASE HELP ME IDENTIFY THIS HARTZELL PROPELLER!

HELLO EVERYONE! WE AT THE MONTANA MUSEUM OF WORK HISTORY JUST RECEIVED THIS PROPELLER AS A DONATION TO OUR MUSEUM. CAN ANYONE TELL ME ABOUT IT? THE HOLE IN THE HUB IS APPROX. 4" IN DIAMETER, AND HAS 8 BOLT HOLES AROUND IT. THERE ALSO SEEMS TO BE SOME SORT OF TATTERED FABRIC COMING FROM UNDER THE EDGES OF THE METAL. I ALSO FOUND THAT IT HAS HARTZELL STAMPED ON IT BUT NO NUMBERS, ANY IDEAS? THANKS! JENN

HELLO ALL,

I NOTICED I AM ONE OF FEW THAT HAS NOT RECEIVED ANY MESSAGES OR POSTS ON MY HARTZELL PROPELLER. I AM LOOKING FOR ANY HELP POSSIBLE TO FIND A TIME FRAME FOR THIS PROPELLER, AND MAYBE IF POSSIBLE THE TYPE OF PLANE THAT WOULD HAVE USED IT. IF IT HELPS IT HAS BEEN IN MONTANA FOR A LONG TIME. ANY HELP WOULD BE SO GREAT SINCE WE ARE WAITING TO PUT IT IN THE MUSEUM.

THANKS AGAIN !
    JENN

Comment

Sorry Jenn, I apologize. Somwhow or other your post here slipped my attention. Would you please carefully examine the wood on and near the hub loooking for any markings pressed into the wood? Hopefully you'll find the letters DES followed by a series of letters and numbers. It looks to me like your prop is pretty weathered so you may have to look very closely.

Failing that, perhaps we can at least identify the engine it was build for in order to narrow down the possible aircraft. Please measure the Bolt Circle, the diameter of the circle on which the centers of all of the bolt holes rest. It can be easily measured by using the distance from the left hand edge of one bolt hole directly across the center hub to the left hand edge of the opposite hole.

Comment

THANKS FOR THE TIPS....I DID NOT FIND ANY NUMBERS OR LETTERS ON OR NEAR THE HUB. THE BOLT CIRCLE MEASURES TO BE 6 7/8". I WILL WAIT TO HEAR BACK FROM ANYONE WITH SOME IDEAS!

THANK SO MUCH!
        JENN

Comment

One thing I should have asked is what is the diameter in inches?

Comment

IT IS 6 AND 7/8 INCHES.

Comment

What I meant is what is the length of the whole propeller, tip to tip?

Comment

THE MEASUREMENT OF THE PROPELLER TIP TO TIP IS 86 INCHES, OR 7FEET AND 2 INCHES.

THANK YOU! JENN

Comment

I doubt that it was a regular production propeller, and might have even been one made for some of the whirling tests that manufacturers used to test them at high rpms. I looked through the Hartzell stuff that I have and can't find a model that is 86" in length with a bolt hole circle of 6 7/8ths. The closest I could find to that was model 706-E, but the spec sheet lists the bolt circle as 5 1/4", or 8613E, with a circle diameter of 6.187 inches. Go to Lamar's site, http://www.modernwoodenpropellers.com/hartzell.htm, to look up those numbers.
                  Dave

Comment

CAN I HAVE HELP TO DETERMINE A VALUE FOR THIS PROPELLER

I WAS MISTAKEN IN THAT THIS PROPELLER WAS NOT ACTUALLY A DONATION, THERE NEEDS TO BE SOME COMPENSATION FOR THE PROP. COULD YOU PLEASE HELP ME DETERMINE A MONITARY VALUE FOR THIS PROPELLER? EVEN THOUGH IT IS VERY WEATHERED AND CRACKED...IT IS STILL AN AMAZING PIECE OF HISTORY TO LOOK AT. WHAT DOES ANYONE THINK ABOUT THIS?

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!
                    JENN

Comment

IMHO it's not worth very much, maybe $250 or so. It's not identifiable (at present anyway), it's in fairly rough shape, and it doesn't look particularly old.
                      Dave

Comment

I agree with Dave, except he is more generous than I in his price estimate.

Comment

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

I REALLY WANT TO THANK EVERYONE WHO HAS GIVEN ME INPUT FOR THIS PROPELLER. I HAVE LEARNED A LOT SEARCHING AROUND ON THESE WEBPAGES AND I THINK IT IS REALLY GREAT THAT YOU ALL HAVE SUCH AN INTREST WITH THIS HISTORY. WE HAVE A COUPLE DIFFERENT PROPELLERS IN OUR MUSEUM (THAT ARE IDENTIFIED) BUT I WILL LOOK AT THEM MUCH DIFFERENTLY NOW THAT I HAVE READ ABOUT THEM. I HOPE TO COME ACROSS ANOTHER PROPELLER SOME DAY SO I CAN CHAT WITH ALL OF YOU AGAIN. THANK YOU AGAIN!
                          JENN AT THE MONTANA MUSEUM OF WORK HISTORY

Comment

Working...
                          X