Lewis L11B40 Wooden Prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lewis L11B40 Wooden Prop

What can anyone tell me about this item. Interested in when it was made, what it might have been used on, and its value.

Thanks for your help.

Can't tell when it was made (other than guessing 50's or 60's), go here to see what could have been used on, and value can't even be estimated without seeing its condition.
    Dave

Comment

I'm certainly no expert on condition, but I'd say it's better than fair, the decal is intact, the metal edges are all there, and the paint trim is still there. There are no cracks in it and it's solid wood still.

Can you at least ball park it?

Comment

Not without seeing it, but just go to eBay, search under "wooden propeller" (singular) then find the "sold items" pathway and look for comparables. That's all I'd be doing if I saw yours.
        Dave

Comment

I've seen nothing there comparable to this prop. I emailed the guy at the website you mentioned, but so far no answer.

I've also contacted several prop sales places and they don't even know what I am talking about on this one.

Does the pic help?
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Rathbone View Post
            I've seen nothing there comparable to this prop. I emailed the guy at the website you mentioned, but so far no answer.

I've also contacted several prop sales places and they don't even know what I am talking about on this one.

Does the pic help?
            Yes, it's practically worthless. The tips have been cut off. That model should be 72" in length, but I'm guessing it's missing about 2 or 3 inches from each tip. An end-on photo of one of the tips would probably show a "wood sandwich", where the metal has been cut, along with the wood beneath it. It's completely unairworthy, and it has little or no value to a collector in that condition.

Tips get damaged from propeller strikes while the engine is running. A prop in that condition is somewhat collectible if the damaged tips are left undisturbed and it's displayed as "original, but damaged in an event" condition.
            Dave

Comment

Working...
            X