57" Four-Blade Wood Prop, 120HP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57" Four-Blade Wood Prop, 120HP

Any ideas on the age/origin of a four blade wood prop that measures 57" tip to tip? The only markings I am aware of are 120 h.p. and J 386???...I am inquiring for a friend and haven't seen the prop yet, sorry for the vague nature of the question....says it came from Pensacola. Thx

By that description it may possibly be a test club, used to ground test engines, or maybe some kind of ultralight or something. Unless it's been cut down, I doubt it's something for a typical certificated airplane.
    Dave

Comment

Thank you. Here is a picture, I thought it may be a bit small for an airplane or perhaps he measured incorrectly? He claims it was built in the 1930s...does have 8 hole mount...
      Attached Files

Comment

It is certainly not an ordinarily aircraft prop. It might be a test fan; or a wind-tunnel fan; or more possibly a prop lowered into the airstream from a WW2 target tug to generate the electricity to power the winch which let out and pulled in the target drogue. British ones look very like this. There has been a spate of them offered on eBay as Zeppelin auxiliary props.

With kind regards,

Bob
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Thank you gentlemen...

Comment

Working...
          X