Lang Propeller of American - Help identify

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dave

I reread your post & I see the A stamp is an inspection stamp. I was wondering if you know how many different inspection stamps there were. Is the #1 also an inspection stamp?

I read one of the posts about a German prop and it said the copper tip was used for Seaplanes - is this the same with the Lang designs?

You have eagle eyes - you saw more in my picture of the hub then I have sorted out in days.
    I will put it in the sunshine tomorrow & see if I can complete some of the number & letter sequences you spotted.

Thanks again

Comment

Metal sheathing was a virtual necessity for seaplanes because of the destructive force of water on the wood, but many landplane props also had metal sheathing, particularly with U.S. built props.

From what you've sketched out as possibilities it seems that the engine may be an 80 HP LeRhone. One thing you can do at this point is go to this chart and compare your hub dimensions with the LeRhone dimensions shown on the chart.

One problem is that there isn't an exhaustive database of drawing number/engine/aircraft combinations that would allow you to infer what the most likely usage is. There are odd matches, but no complete listing. Some (many) props are not identifiable, despite everyone's best efforts.

If you have access to a macro lens and can get a good close up of segments of the stampings I might be able to determine more with those, but it's always a challenge.
      Dave

Comment

Thank you Dave - I'm not giving up. I will post more when I have it.
        Does it help to know it came from a salvage company that did work in Long Beach, CA?
        I was wondering if only certian planes were used on either coasts depending on the needs of the miitary at the time.
        Audree

Comment

Working...
        X