Help identify my pappy's propeller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help identify my pappy's propeller?

My pappy passed away a few years ago, and I found this propeller dusty in his attic. He was a pilot for many years, and so was my great-grandfather back in the early days of flying.

I'm having trouble figuring out what this propeller is, since it has no obvious markings - and he never mentioned the propeller so I'm not even sure if it is real (or a very good replica). I looked through the specs and pics, and to me it looks very similar to the "Jenny" and I know occasionally he would talk about flying a Jenny - but I'm not an expert.

I took some measurements:

It is about 8 feet long from tip to tip. The tips are a little worn, so it is possible it was a little longer.

The center bore hole is 2 3/4 inches diameter and 4 1/8 inches thick.

There is no metal "hub" on it, but the center of the hub is 7 1/2 inches wide. It looks like it may have had some bolt holes, but it is hard to tell how many. It sort of looks like in the past someone may have filled them in or tried to refinish it (or, it is just a replica).

Any insight? Either way, I plan to mount it on my wall to display it - but knowing what sort of plane it was from or type of propeller it is would be interesting to know.
    Attached Files

I believe it is likely a Paragon propeller for a Curtiss OX5 engine and probably for a JN4. The absence of decals and absence of bolt holes in the hub suggests that it was rejected in the manufacturing process and disposed of as surplus. A number of these were sold in that fashion in the early 1920s for $2 each, $3 with metal sheathing. Even the finished version may not have had metal sheathing.

Comment

Thanks - I think you may be right because the propeller has no markings I can find (which is what originally made me think it was a replica, but to create one so accurate would take a ton of work). Looking back, I wish I would have asked my pappy this history on it - and he has many stories from his flying days. I'll do a little more research along the lines you suggested and maybe will find a way to confirm it. Thanks!

Comment

It is hard to tell in the picture, but it has two little indents near the center hole. At first I thought it may have been filled in bolt holes - but they aren't consistent as far as distance from the center. It looks like they have have been put there on purpose, though - any ideas what they might be?
        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
        X