Albatros CI propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don,

Send me a copy of the possible Germania prop please. Germania photos follow.

Bob
    Bob Gardner
    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

I'll have to get my scanner working first. It's only a small photo in the Albatros CI datafile (p. 26) but when examining it with a magnifier I can almost make out the Germania decal "below" the German cross.

I'd appreciate any photos of a Germania prop (for a Mercedes or Benz engine) you can find -- particularly a front view I can use as a pattern.

BTW, since most photographs are not taken completely square ("dead on") the length of the two blades are often a bit different. So what I do is take the "best" blade, the copy and flip the copied image to create a fully symmetrical image. This is then sized to the scale needed, printed, and glued to the wood for cutting on a scroll or band saw.

Comment

I just realized I don't know how to post photos to this forum. Could someone explain. I'm used to forums (like RCU) that have a photo upload option.

Comment

Don,

There's a tutorial at the end of the index on our front page on how to post photographs. Essentially you enrol with photobucket, upload the photos there, then copy the link and paste it into your draft. It is even easier than it sounds.

I must find those photos for you, too.

With regards,

Bob
          Bob Gardner

Comment

Thanks, Bob. I'll check into that right away. I'm familiar with photobucket but haven't used it before. I'm afraid the the photo (scanned from the CI datafile) won't be much use, but at least it will show the general shape.

I've been looking back at other propellers and the closest I've found is the Integrale prop (after I flip it around). The similarities are:

1. Straight, offset trailing edge
            2. General blade width
            3. Fair sharp "angle" as the tip blends into the TE
            3. Smallish hub

In general, the German props appear to bear more similarities to the French props than to the British props.

--Don

PS. Here's a test of Photobucket. I've uploaded the flipped version of the Integral prop (from Dave's site) that I think looks simillar to what I'm guessing is a Germania prop.

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/i...uxGermania.jpg

Comment

Comment

Bob, any luck yet finding the photo of the Germania prop?

Comment

Hi Don,

Sorry for the delay. I have only one photograph of a Germania prop which is attached below. I have one or two probables in another file which I'll go and have a look at. They are either Germania or Imperial. I only have five records of a Germania prop compared with about 40 for both Heine and Axial props, which might be an indication of rarity. So far, I only know of Germania props made for Hannover CL aircraft and for Pfalz.

Happy New Year,

Bob
                  Bob Gardner

Comment

Don,

Here's one more which is probably a Germania prop but might be an Imperial. Its on a Fokker D VII which had a more powerful engine than an Albatros C I, and therefore more bulky.

Bob

Bob Gardner

Comment

Bob, thanks so much for posting those. The second looks almost exactly like the prop I'm planning to model. I still haven't gotten around to scanning the photo in the datafile but the curve, laminations, and decals look about right.

As far as I can tell the engine shown in the photo in the datafile is a Mercedes 160.

Comment

I finally got the scanner working again. So here's the scan of the prop that I suspect is Germania (based on the cross and the hint of a sun-burst circular decal).

Comment

Lovely photograph. Might I use it in my book on German props?

I believe that it is an Integral prop. Here's my reasoning.

Only four German prop makers (that I know of) used the cross patee in this way with their company logo; Reschke; Imperial, Germania and Integral. (two others used the cross inside their logo). We can eliminate Reschke because of the shape of the decal. Germania and Imperial are predominantly red in the centre and don't show up with white patches in distance photos.

Integral designed props have a dead straight trailing edge.

Here are photographs of Integral props on Fokkers, which have a similar look.

Bob

Bob Gardner

Comment

Bob, thanks for the further info and the photos. The whitish dot in the center of the integral decal seems to be the give-away.

As far as using the photo, it's a scan from the Albatros CI datafile so I don't really have any rights to give. I never really know who owns the "copyright" on these old photos. Is it whoever owns the copy ("a" copy?) of the original print? Or maybe the first person to publish it?

Was the German Integral related to the French Integrale?

Comment

Yes.

Integrale in France was founded by Lucien Chauviere. His early research work set the pattern for prop makers for the next ten years. He set up subsidary companies in England and in Germany, where both were called Integral. I have recently found a suggestion that companies were also set up in Russia and Austria, which I am currently researching.

I enclose 2 photographs of Integral prop decals found by Dave Bahnson (the first and better of the two) and me. If anyone has a better decal or details of any German Integral prop please tell me.

With regards,

Bob

Bob Gardner

Comment

It's great to have been able to track down a specific maker for the prop in the datafile photo! A couple of weeks ago this was just an interesting looking prop to me and now it's a wonderful bit of history.

Comment

Working...
                                X