120 inch wooden prop - seeking info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 120 inch wooden prop - seeking info

I just purchased a wooden propeller that measures 10 feet. It has been in some sort of fire, but it is still in pretty good condition. I was not able to find any identification marks or numbers. Does anyone have any ideas as to what it is?
    Attached Files

It's a wind machine prop, typically used in places like vineyards in California to circulate air over the vines when there is a threat of frost. The size, shape, and hub characteristics are typical of that application.

Comment

Appears to be a 32V Wincharger prop. The stapled copper leading edge is common for pre REA wind generators. The angle of the mount holes and the indentions on the edges are unique to the manufacturer "Wincharger" and the air brake governor that mounted on the front of the prop. I can provide more info you want to contact me on the side.

Comment

Thanks, Windcharger Mike. We do get a lot on inquiries here about these props. I'm taking the Liberty of linking your earlier post here for the benefit of future searchers here on the site.

Thanks for the info . . .

Comment

Thanks for the info. Do they normally come in that color or was that painted after the fact? As you may have seen from the pictures, it is burnt pretty bad on one side. I was thinking about sanding down and refinishing the non-burnt side to see if I could get a nice wood look. Would that take away the value? Also, do you have any idea what it is worth?

Comment

Wincharger props were not painted. I believe the factory applied a varnish. Yours can never be used again so it's a wall hanger or used on a display wind generator. I lightly sand the wood and go over the copper with 0000 steel wool to clean the surface without removing the patina. I use a product called Gibbs for both the wood and copper. If I were selling it, maybe $100 because of the damage. Still a nice decorative prop and in the right antique store it might sell for more. Although unintentional in most cases, it's not uncommon for these to be misrepresented as aircraft props.

Comment

Working...
            X