Early Jacuzzi Toothpick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Jacuzzi Toothpick

After a little research I have found that my propeller is a WW1 era propeller.
    I know that is was manufatured by the Jacuzzi Brothers between maybe 1915-20 it was used during WWI and others its approx 9.5 feet long and is in excellent condition. Can any body give me some input on the value as I would like to sale it thanks.

That would depend on its condition. Is it original or has it been refinished?

What is stamped on the propeller?
    Dave

Comment

#'s are

Will try to post pictures when I have a second. Numbers on one side are 410 HP, 135 MH with a jacuzzi stamp and a four leaf clover shape with from L to R top to bottom in each leaf u,s, (bottom) 28,a with a b in the center of the clover. On the same side of the propeller but on other side of center markings read D.8.9 and P.7.6 with N 163 below. on the side which looks maybe like a serial # SC 60118. some of these digits are hard to read I could be wrong on some but the appropriate amout of digits should be correct. Jacuzzi is stamped a total of three times on same side.

Comment

It sounds like it might be for a Liberty engine (based on the horsepower). The "D" and "P" numbers are just diameter and pitch. The SC. number is for "Signal Corps" and is a very high number, suggesting that this was probably well after WW1.

I'd be interested to see the photos.
        Dave

Comment

trying to upload photos

[ATTACH]202[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]203[/ATTACH]

Comment

more photos

[ATTACH]204[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]205[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]206[/ATTACH]

Comment

Sure looks like a Liberty prop, and it's kind of an unusual design. The next step is to confirm that it's a Liberty sized hub. Go to this page, then follow the link to the hub measurements.
              Dave

Comment

By the way, it should be 8 feet 9 inches in length, not 9 1/2 feet.
                Dave

Comment

Interested in purchasing Jacuzzi propeller

Hi.

I am interested in purchasing Jacuzzi propellers and would be pleased to hear from you. If this propeller is still in your possession and for sale, please call me at:

204.786.1604 X2228 or 204.955.0174

I look forward to hearing from you.

Paul Jacuzzi
                  Winnipeg, MB
                  Canada

Comment

How lovely to see a Jacuzzi prop go back to the family that made it. I've only achieved this twice in the last fifteen years, to AVRO in Britain and Ebora in the Netherlands.

With regards to everyone,
                    Bob Gardner
                    Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
                    http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Gardner View Post
                      How lovely to see a Jacuzzi prop go back to the family that made it. I've only achieved this twice in the last fifteen years, to AVRO in Britain and Ebora in the Netherlands.

With regards to everyone,
                      It does happen. I sold a Jacuzzi prop way back to Remo Jacuzzi, whom I supect that pvjacuzzi knows of, and I sold a very old Flottorp prop to a descendent of Ole Flottorp.
                      Dave

Comment

Jacuzi Propeller

I have a Jacuzzi Propeller. It has a stamp or burned in Oval with Hall scott Motors in the oval. It has another stamp or burn Jacuzzie Bros
                        Berkley Cal
                        The number is 1358 next to the stamps.on 1 blade
                        The other blade has a number 10004 RH under that is 8' 4" and looks like 725 unreadable. under that is a square stamp with the letter A
                        the prop has copper on both blade tips. the prop is a flat blade prop
                        I don't know what type of aircraft its from does anyone know.
                        Ted Hazlewood

Comment

Re: Jacuzzi Propeller History

Hi Ted:

My name is Paul Jacuzzi, a grandson of one of the original Jacuzzi brothers that emigrated to America, eventually to found Jacuzzi Bros. Inc. I have a small collection of Jacuzzi propellers and, along with my daughter who is enrolled in a Commercial Aviation program in a Canadian university, have an interest in our family's early aviation business. The only remaining evidence of the early years are a few propellers, of which you have one.

The first of these propellers were likely produced in late 1914 or early 1915. All of what is known of this period were recollections from elderly family members that were collected by some family members, two of whom eventually published books that recorded our family history. The corporate records of propeller production and serial numbers have been lost, probably destroyed after the company abandoned the business in the early 1920's. A few interesting photgraphs of that era survived in the form of negatives that turned up in the 1970's. I saw them on at least one occasion and they were most remarkable.

After I read your note I looked up what I had in my notes on the Hal Scott Motor Company. It seems that my great uncle formed a development partnership with a company principal in 1915 and produced a number of propellers for them until they eventually phased out of the propeller business in 1920, when they formally incorporated and concentrated on production of prototype aircraft. From approximately 1918 to 1920, Jacuzzi Bros were the sole supplier of propellers to Hal Scott so it most likely was produced in that timeframe. It may have been earlier, though the "Jacuzzi Bros" stamp and the reference to "Berkeley Ca" formally on the hub indicates it came from a later production period. I have a very early propeller, likely from 1915 or 1916, that is merely marked "Jacuzzi" and is not one of the more sculpted or elegant designs that emerged in later models.

This early propeller has an "N163" mark that seems to resemble the "A237" code that yours has, though this may only be a coincidence. My later propeller has "Jacuzzi Bros Berkeley Ca" stamped in it, consistent with yours. Dave or Bob will best be able to decipher the other markings, though I believe that "RH" will designate the rotation and "8' 4"" will be the overall length.

I am afraid that I am unable to comment on what kind of aircraft that this may have been operated with.

I would be delighted if you could forward some photographs of your propeller to my email address (pvjacuzzi@waterite.com). I would also be interested to know how you came into possession of the prop and if you have any knowledge of its history.

If you have an interest in selling this propeller, I would be interested in discussing this with you.

Thanks for sharing,

Paul Jacuzzi
                          Winnipeg, MB

Comment

Originally posted by pvjacuzzi View Post

This early propeller has an "N163" mark that seems to resemble the "A237" code that yours has, though this may only be a coincidence. My later propeller has "Jacuzzi Bros Berkeley Ca" stamped in it, consistent with yours. Dave or Bob will best be able to decipher the other markings, though I believe that "RH" will designate the rotation and "8' 4"" will be the overall length.
                            You are correct about the RH and 8'4", and as you note the list of drawing numbers seems to be non-existent. It's almost impossible to know what aircraft it was used for, particularly since the propeller is more specific to the engine and may even have been applicable to several different aircraft types.

One of the common uses of the Hall Scott A7A engine was the Standard J1, very similar in appearance to the Curtiss JN4 which used an OX5 (or Hisso) engine instead. You can certainly confirm that it was likely for the Hall Scott by measuring the bolt hole circle diameter on the hub. For the Hall Scott, all the hole centers will sit on a circle with a 6 inch diameter, where the OX5 will be 5 1/4 inches.

Last edited by Dave; 03-06-2010, 08:15 AM.
                            Dave

Comment

Jacuzzi Propeller for Loughead (Lockheed) S1

I have a Jacuzzi Propeller from 1919 that was used for an experimental Loughead XL-1 engine. The XL-1 engine was 25hp and used in the Loughead S-1 Sport Biplane. The XL1 is the ONLY engine that Loughead ever built. This propeller is likely one of a kind. The Engine was donated to the Hiller Aviation Museum where it is today. the prop is on my wall. I'll post photos if anyone would like to see it

Cheers
                              Monty

Comment

Working...
                              X