Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WW1 wooden propeller. What is it's history and value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 wooden propeller. What is it's history and value?

I have had a WW1 Spad prop for many years and am interested in selling it. However, I would like to have some more details about it and an idea of it's value.
    Diameter = 92"
    8 1/2" dia bolt holes
    6 1/2 hub thickness

Markings on the hub are as follows:
    Plane Spad
    A.S. No. 22-411
    Part 10. (?) 047425
    180 ( maybe 190) H.P. ? S.

This prop was found in a shed outside of San Antonio, Texas many years ago so it leads me to believe that it is a legit WW1 prop. The metal on the leading edge is a scalloped design. I have not done anything to it. Any info on this would be appreciated. Pictures can be furnished if needed.

Charles

It sounds as if it may be one of the SPAD aircraft used in the post WW1 development by various U.S. services. I think the "A.S." is an Air Service designation, although I don't have any record of that number as such.

The stampings most likely would read, "180 H.P H.S" for 180 horsepower Hispano Suiza engine, which was used on the SPAD.

"Value" would be very difficult to estimate without seeing its condition.
    Dave

Comment

I will try and get a couple of pictures and get them posted as soon as hurricane Ike gets out of here.

Thanks for the reply.

Charles

Comment

I hope Ike didn't cause too many problems for you. (I hope no one has been unwise enough to add the name Patton to the list of hurricane names!)

Bob
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

WW1 wooden propeller. What is it's history and value?

Thankfully, Ike missed the Central Texas (Austin) area.

Dave, I have e-mailed you several pictures of the prop. I have had problems with my e-mail for a couple of days, so if you have not received my pictures of yesterday, please let me know. Thanks.

Comment

I didn't get them. Try again if you would.
            Dave

Comment

Here's a picture of the prop.

I believe it's a U.S. built prop for a SPAD with a HIsso 180 engine. A number of them apparently were shipped to the U.S. during or after WW1. I can't tell if the paint is original, especially on the sheathing, but red paint was common among some of the French built propellers.
              Dave

Comment

It's certainly a French design. The British copied the French design for their SPADs and gave them a British drg number. Perhaps the Americans did the same because the sheathing looks American. Unless the Americans added their own sheathing to a French made prop.

Can anyone offer advice, Pierre-Michel perhaps?

Bob
                Bob Gardner

Comment

Well, the OP sent me some other pics, including this one:

The use of the word "PLANE" and the arrangement of the stampings around the circumference of the hub face (instead of on the side of the hub) are "typically" U.S. built, as far as I can tell.
                  Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave.

Bob
                    Bob Gardner

Comment

prop question

hi, my name is paul. i have the exact same prop. mine has a canvas covering on the entire prop. i was wondering the weight of your prop, mine seems rather light. thanks, paul.

Comment

Originally posted by paul etzler View Post
                        hi, my name is paul. i have the exact same prop. mine has a canvas covering on the entire prop. i was wondering the weight of your prop, mine seems rather light. thanks, paul.
                        Most props (particularly mahogany) are surprisingly light in weight. Some of the oak and other denser woods are heavier, and the blade thickness is a consideration.

Does your canvas extend to the hub? Any chance you could post a photo?
                        Dave

Comment

Working...
                        X