Identification of Sopwith Camel Propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identification of Sopwith Camel Propeller

Hi, we have 2 mounted propellers. One being from a Sopwith Camel? and the other from a German aircraft that was shot down etc. by the source in WWI.

The Propeller
    HUB: 8 Bolts
    IDENTIFICATION MARKS:
    AID (Aeronautical Inspection Department)
    77T
    A50
    77T

HUB IDENTIFICATION MARKS:
    D.W.G. NO. 1708
    FRENCH TYPE
    BDSS
    O/D E 15 GP II
    G.A.C.
    Z762?

IDENTIFICATION DECAL:
    ..... AUTICAL CORP
    .....DON (?LONDON?)
    G?...AC
    SPECIFICATIONS:
    CENTER BORE DIAMETER = 70mm or 2.756 inches
    BOLT HOLE DIAMETER = 11mm or 0.433 inches
    BOLT HOLE CIRCLE = 151 mm or 5.905 inches
    DIAMETER OF HUB = 300 mm or 11.81 inches
    HUB THICKNESS OR HEIGHT = 145mm OR 5.70 inches
    Attached Files

I am interested to learn more about the two propellers above. I would appreciate any assistance with the further identification of the main propeller shown. Thanks for any help.

Comment

I think this is your decal.

The reference to Regy is interesting, as that was a French manufacturer, but the only drawing number that I could find with 1708 was a Lang (LP170 which was used on a DH5.
      Attached Files
      Dave

Comment

Hi,

300 mm is pretty large for a hub diameter and according to the first picture, it seems impossible this diameter is 300mm and bolt circle 150mm.

Do you think "FRENCH TYPE BDSS" may be read FRENCH TYPE BOSS ? 150mm high with a 70mm hole and 11mm bolts on a 150mm circle are standard dimensions for French "B" type hub (boss).

Regards,
        PM

@Dave : thanks for this decal picture.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Here are a couple of corrections, I got carried away with some of my numbers!
          SPECIFICATIONS:
          CENTER BORE DIAMETER = 70mm or 2.756 inches
          BOLT HOLE DIAMETER = 11mm or 0.433 inches
          BOLT HOLE CIRCLE = 151 mm or 5.905 inches
          DIAMETER OF HUB = 202 mm or 7.95 inches
          HUB THICKNESS OR HEIGHT = 135mm OR 5.31 inches

Maybe 'BOSS' is more appropriate also.

Thanks for the decal photo that is perfect just what I was looking for

Brad

Comment

Hi Brad,

Your data translates as Dave says:

D.W.G. NO. 1708 A Lang Prop Co drg no. This was a French design made under licence by Lang. Its manufacture was subcontracted to the General Aeronautical Co.
            FRENCH TYPE BOSS
            O/D E 15 GP II This reads DE H5, the aircraft type. I don't know what GP II means
            G.A.C. General Aeronautical Co
            Z762? This stencilled number is the serial number of AIRCO who made the aircraft.

There is a slight difference between your decal and the one Dave has added.
            Dave's decal is early, probably from 1914. At this time GAC were agents who held the rights to sell several aviation items including Regy props. They also sold the Rapid propeller. The decal on your prop lacks the name Regy which dates it to later than 1915. And the DH5 was in production mostly in 1917.

The AID markings are for the Aeronautical Inspection Department and in effect are airworthiness certificates. I have added them to my database with some glee as they were previously unrecorded and I had no inspectors listed for GAC. Two birds, as it were!

Could you send me hi-res copies of the photos of the hub, that I can use in my book.
            aeroclocks at btinternet dot com
            Written thus to fox the spam bots.

With kind regards,

Bob
            Bob Gardner
            Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
            http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
            X