Strange old propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange old propeller

Had this since the 60s, it has been heavily painted so markings are obliterated. Length 94 inches. I thought of stripping it (someone started that already) then read that I should leave it as original! The tips are wrapped in copper sheet. I think there is a bullet hole. It has the steel mounting plates with keyway. It has lost material from the trailing edges of both blades. Any ideas?
    Attached Files

If it's been painted and the paint wasn't supposed to be there then it really isn't "original" anymore and it doesn't much matter what you do at this point, especially if someone has already started the process.
    Dave

Comment

Thanks for your prompt reply Dave. I am a bit new to this forum so I would like to know what you guys would do in the circumstances. One might be inclined to strip it and restore something that had been subjected to such abuse, unless there was some history attached to its condition. Any chance of identification as it stands?

Comment

The likelihood of identifying it without stamped drawing numbers is almost zero. Of course, stripping it doesn't necessarily mean that you'll even find numbers or be able to identify it.
        Dave

Comment

Hey, I thought you would be able to tell roughly what it was just from the shape! It does not like like anything in your photo gallery.

Comment

Originally posted by ernold View Post
            Hey, I thought you would be able to tell roughly what it was just from the shape! It does not like like anything in your photo gallery.
            I can. It's a propeller.

The problem is that there are literally thousands of different models in many shapes and sizes.
            Dave

Comment

Any advice on the stripping? The options are - a belt sander, a blow-lamp, paint stripper, or taking it to a door-stripper's tank - any others?

My best regards

Ernie

Comment

Absolutely stay away from any sandpaper or heat stripping. Get Fornby's or some other furniture stripper and just gently repeat the process until all the paint is gone. Sandpaper and heat gun strippers will both ruin what's left of the wood appearance....
                Dave

Comment

Many thanks for your help

Ernie

Comment

Working...
                  X