60" Pusher prop id

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60" Pusher prop id

I got this 60" high speed prop for Christmas last year and I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what it's from. The only marking is "2A" just outside the hub. Please help.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RGrande; 02-24-2011, 07:10 PM. Reason: typo

With no indication of the maker it will be virtually impossible to identify the usage of your prop.

Lamar

Comment

60" wooden prop

I'd be pretty nervous taking off the hub to see if there's another stamp. Is there some other way to id? Any aircraft known to use a 60" pusher prop? There can't be that many, right?

Comment

Sixty inches in diameter is very, VERY small for a certificated aircraft. In fact the only plane I know of that uses a prop that small is the Mooney Might Mite and it's a 'puller' prop. I just don't have any ideas for you. Does anyone else?

Lamar

Comment

I presume that the assumption that it's a pusher prop is based on the metal hub assembly. I've got to say, I don't recall seeing that style hub arrangement anywhere on an aircraft, and wonder if it's the one the propeller was designed for or not.

I'm not sure how airboat hub assemblies were designed, but I suppose one possibility is that it was an airboat hub which happened to fit another propeller of some kind.

As Lamar says, it's awfully short for a certicated aircraft.
          Dave

Comment

Appreciate all the replies. You guys are helping validate my assumptions. My limited understanding of airboat props is they have a pretty flat pitch and wide chord. This one seems pretty narrow and has a pretty good twist. My nagging thought is that this is for a microlite or ultralight but it seems a bit old for that. Maybe it's just beat up. Hell, it could have been for a home-built lawnmower. To add to the mystery, my Father-in-law found it in Oregon (certainly not an airboat haven).

Thanks for your help on this. I knew this was the right place to go.

Comment

Working...
            X