H kolver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H kolver

Could some one please help me identify the following propeller: Cheetah X DRGZ 3931 D 7.33 P696 SER. RH 806 FEB44. Would I be able to trace it back to the aircraft it belonged to? the squadron any information would be appreciated. thank you

You won't be able to trace it to the actual airplane that used it but it might be possible to identify the aircraft type (or types) that it was designed for. I'll need to look through some files, or maybe Bob Gardner will beat me to it.
    Dave

Comment

Dave,

I can answer this one.

The prop is from an Airspeed Oxford that was built in several thousands during WW2 and used by the RAF as a communication and training aircraft.

The data translates as;
      Cheetah X; the Mark 10 version of the Armstrong Siddeley Cheetah engine.
      DRG; drawing number.
      Z 3931; the drg no. for a prop designed by the Airscrew Co. used by the Airspeed Oxford.
      D 7.33; prop diameter in feet
      P 6.96; pitch in feet
      SER RH 806; Right hand rotation, serial no. 806
      FEB 44; date of manufacture

With kind regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Postscript;

The Cheetah engine was a seven cylinder radial that produced 375hp in Mark 10 form. The Airspeed Oxford had two of them. The engine proved to be exceptionally reliable, requiring overhaul at 1200 hours of operational use.

Bob
        Bob Gardner

Comment

Hi H Kolver, Dave and Bob,

I have read this thread with great interest as I have a Cheetah engine and a couple of prop's and as far as I know they are LHT not RH.

Did the Oxford use LH and RH prop's ?

Andy

Comment

Hi Andy,

On checking my database I have only one or two descriptions of rotation for the Cheetah and both are LH. But I can't imagine that the RH on this prop is wrong. And it seems quite likely that they produced the engine with both rotations. Rolls Royce started doing this in 1917.

With kind regards,

Bob
            Bob Gardner

Comment

Hi Bob,

Wow ! you are fast, thanks for the reply.

What is the general split over LHT and RHT on British prop's ?

Andy

Comment

Generally, Right Hand props were "conventional", but there are several good reasons for left handed rotation. Pusher configuration using a standard engine is probably the most common. Geared engines like the SPAD is another. In some cases for twins, the engines would be reconfigured to create counter-rotating propellers, in which case there would be a LH and a RH version of the same design.
                Dave

Comment

Working...
                X