Gipsy Major IC propeller evaluation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gipsy Major IC propeller evaluation

We are trying to settle my father's estate and we have come across this propreller. It is 76 " long with an eight bolt pattern hub with a diameter of 2.75 ". The markings are DRG.5220.SC GIPSY.MAJOR.IC. on top of hub and D.6-33.P.4-42. L.L.452. NOV.40 on the bottom of the hub . There is also a G on the back of the hub.I just found your sight and hope I've done this right and not offended anyone. I have tried to post pics on photobucket at http://s517.photobucket.com/albums/u335/apstndp7/.I would like to thank you for this very helpful sight .We are located in Canada if that is a concern

Bob Gardner, who checks in here periodically, will probably be able to give you a good idea of its value. In the meantime, check the full URL for the link to photobucket. I think a few characters are missing from the address.
    Dave

Comment

I'm trying to figure out the picture thing but I think I had to many characters in the link.Try http://s517.photobucket.com/albums/u335/apstndp7/ .I hope that will work I really have to thank you guys on behalf of my family as we would never be able to figure it out.

Comment

It's almost certainly from a Canadian built DH Tiger Moth used for training RAF and RCAF pilots during WW2. It might possibly be from a Gipsy Moth from the 1930's but this is unlikely.

Many of these props exist in both England and in Canada. They sell for around 300 usd at auction.

With regards,

Bob
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Just looked at your photographs. The date of 1940 suggests even more strongly that it was for a Tiger Moth. It was made by the Laidlaw brothers.
          Good photos. Much better than the average!

Bob
          Bob Gardner
          Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
          http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

On behalf of my family I would like to thank you guys for your very informative input. Now that I have learned this little bit I have a greater appreciation for these fine works of art.

Comment

Originally posted by apstndp7 View Post
              We are trying to settle my father's estate and we have come across this propreller. It is 76 " long with an eight bolt pattern hub with a diameter of 2.75 ". The markings are DRG.5220.SC GIPSY.MAJOR.IC. on top of hub and D.6-33.P.4-42. L.L.452. NOV.40 on the bottom of the hub . There is also a G on the back of the hub.I just found your sight and hope I've done this right and not offended anyone. I have tried to post pics on photobucket at http://s517.photobucket.com/albums/u335/apstndp7/.I would like to thank you for this very helpful sight .We are located in Canada if that is a concern
              This is obviously a bit late. I also have a very similar prop. My father bought and flew a Tiger Moth, out of Cap-de-la Madeleine, Que., shortly after the 2nd world war. This prop was hung in his office. I assume he bought a new one for the plane.
              I'm looking to sell this prop, did you ever get an evaluation on it?
              I also live in Canada, Nova Scotia.

Comment

I'd go with Bob's comment above that they should go for about $300 at auction. If you're going to sell it, a good presentation and description might get more. It's a small market, though, with a lot of variability.
                Dave

Comment

legacy consideration

Just a few words here for you to consider about your fathers prop. First of all, to all of the other forum members that I am sure have seen me post these observations in the past, thanks for your patience.

Ok, consider this. This prop was your dads, good or bad, it was his, and good or bad what ever the history was between you and him, this prop was his and in my humble opinion, it should be kept and not sold. There might be a younger kid in the family nephew wise that might really appreciate it in the future. The bottom line is simply this, NO other prop on this site or any other site for that matter is as special as this one in regards to you, its been in your family and it has special meaning and history, plus its a great classic " airscrew " from a time gone by.

If you sell it, all you have is money, and money is common world wide as currency. At some point down the road, after the money is spent, you will wonder why you ever sold your fathers prop, and to get another one this nice, is spendy, you already own this one and have nothing invested in it.

My advice to you is, hang onto it, and give it a great place to hang on the wall, or even take it to a local airport that you might trust and let them hang it on the wall, so you can come visit it from time to time, how ever, you might really want to think that one over, pieces as nice as this are desired and have a habit of being sold if cocktails are served at the same place after hours. ( cheshire grin ).

Long story short, you wont regret hanging onto your dads prop, its a piece of history that you are linked to, you wont regret keeping it.

If after all of that, you think you have to sell it, then contact me at my information in the picture, I will gladly give you $300.00 for it right now with the proviso that when the regret sets in maybe a few months or years later, i will gladly sell it back to you for what I paid for it, you just have to pay the freight to get it shipped back to canada, fair deal?, indeed it is, and if that happens, you then get to have a piece of your history back, where it rightfully belongs.

Sincerely,
                  J. Dennis Hicklin
                  Seattle Washington.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X