this old wooden prop was my dad's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this old wooden prop was my dad's

I have an old wooden prop that my dad attached a note to that says: 1928 mod. curtis jr. pusher. It has an offset blade pattern and is about 6ft. long. Tips are painted white with 3/4 of blades painted red w/2 thin white bars in the red. Light colored wood. Six holes. Decals say Hegy Marfa Texas. What did it go on? Value? Hung in my dad's office. My boys and I love it.

From the description, it sounds like it might be an ultralight propeller, not something from the 20's. Do you have a picture?
    Dave

Comment

I'll see if my son can take a photo this next week and put it on. Thanks.

Comment

Hegy Prop

Ray Hegy is best known in the experimental aircraft circle. He made propellers for experimental aircraft, ultralights and motorgliders. I was at the Experimental Fly in 1971 and watched him buzz around in a bi-plane of his own design known as El Chuparosa. It had a 65 continental and went like hell. Most of his props were curved blades like scimitar props. Which was an attempt to make a constant speed prop from wood by shaping it so that it flexed and changed the pitch under load. His props were fairly stiff (I have one hanging in my workshop) and I doubt they worked like a scimitar prop. His grandson -Jim Corder - continued making the Hegy props but I don't know if he is still in business.

Bob

Comment

Hegy Prop

Sorry I didn't answer all the questions. The Curits Junior Pusher was a two place tandem seating, open cockpit, with a high wing configuration with the engine attached at the back of the wing. There was an experimental replica made called the Woody Pusher. Plans were sold for the Woody Pusher replica and many were built. You can google either the Curtiss Junoir Pusher or the Woody Pusher to see what the airplane looked like.
          Because the original Curtiss Junior Pushers were a bit underpowered with a Augistine 35hp engine or a Salmon 40 hp engine, many were retrofited with a Continental 40, 50 or 65hp engine. Ray Hegy probably made this prop for someone who had retrofited a Continental to it.
          Hope this helps.
          Bob

Comment

Working...
          X