Identity unknown.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identity unknown.

Hi, I picked this prop up in an antique store several years ago with plans to refinish and display. Its 54 inches long.The hub is 5 1/2 inches wide and 3 inches thick. The tips appear to be epoxy and fiberglass mesh.I can just barely make out the logo thats written R.G. Mende, and printed Quitman Air. Could you please tell me what this prop might have been used on.This is a great web site.Thankyou.

My guess would be ultralight or UAV of some type. It's a little too short to have been used on any of the common general aviation certified aircraft.

Comment

Thanks, I was hoping for UAV because I'm into radio control airplanes. I suppose it won't be easy to determine how old it is.

Comment

With that tiny center bore hole it's unlike anything else I've seen.

Lamar

Comment

mende propeller

That propeller you posted was made by my father about 1970.

Comment

Mende, please tell us more about your father's work with propellers. Thank you.

Lamar

Comment

prop

My dad passed away about 6 years ago. He was quite an airplane enthusiast. He built many custom made propellers and some that were just pretty that he would put a clock in the middle. He also wrote a small self published book on how to make your own propellers. My dad was not a saver and we don't have a copy of this book and we are looking for one. This Christmas my children found a REALLY nice propeller that he made and gave it to me. I was really surprised and very happy to have it. My propeller is is GREAT shape. It is now on my wall as a piece of art.

Comment

What a wonderful, thoughtful Christmas gift. Will you post a detailed picture of it here? Did he use custom decals? How were his propellers marked?

Lamar

Comment

Our father did build his own airplane, but sold it before completion, never having flown it. As mentioned above, he did custom work; he was also deep into radio controlled aircraft, but your 54" long prop would have been to large for any of those.

Comment

Christmas surprise!

Hi. Santa brought me an antique propeller for Christmas. Anyone any idea as to what it is? It was picked up from an antique shop in Sanford North Carolina and is now in Surrey UK.

It's 5'0 long.

Merry Christmas!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by tcremote; 12-25-2014, 12:10 PM. Reason: More info.

Comment

You'd need the design numbers, which are usually stamped on the hub. Absent those, it's impossible to know what it was for as there are hundreds or even thousands of possibilities. Also, it looks as if the tips have been cut down, which is common on props that have been removed from service because of a prop strike and damage to the tips.

Comment

Christmas surprise!

Thanks but there are no numbers to be found. I'll invent my own story!

Merry Christmas.

Comment

It was almost certainly at least 6 feet long when it was manufactured.
                          Dave

Comment

Working...
                          X