3 early propellers - 2 unknown, 1 Alamo, Help identify

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 early propellers - 2 unknown, 1 Alamo, Help identify

Hello, I have three old wooden propellers and need help to identify. I believe they are OX5, but have not measured yet.
    1. Alamo decal on both blades. Stamped into wood at hub is:
    Blade 1

A 7 . A (note the 7 could be an X)
    8' X 5'3"
    SC 14528 (note this is followed by a funny symbol that looks like a 4 leaf clover. Inside top left is U - Inside top right is S - Inside center is B - Inside lower left is 8 - Inside lower right is A)

Blade 2

90HP
    1450 RPM
    F19F

Propeller #2 is unidentified - It does have a SC stamped into the wood at the hub with the numbers 549.... (the rest are sanded out.)

Propeller #3 is unidentified - Stamped on the hub is the following:

SC 5169
    Note this also has the 4 leaf clover stamp, but the numbers and letters inside are not legible.

Any help identifying these three propellers would be greatly appreciated.

Nice props, and Alamo is a new one to me.

I'm guessing that at least the first one is for a Standard J1 with an A7A Hall Scott engine. Here's an example of one. You should carefully measure the hub dimensions and then compare them to the chart linked on this page.
    The others may be OX5 props, but the hub dimensions should help you with that information.

The "S.C." numbers are Signal Corps numbers, but aren't helpful in identification.

Comment

3 early propellers - 2 unknown, 1 Alamo, Help identify

Well this is interesting. I thought all three of my propellers were OX-5, but all three have the same bolt circle which is 6". Therefore they must be Hall Scott A7A propellers.

Would these all have been used on the J1 Standard?

Is there anywhere I can go to get information on the Hall Scott Engine?

Is there anywhere I can go to research the Alamo manufacturer?

Thanks again for your help.

Bud Silvers

Comment

My understanding is that the A7A was a quirky engine, and the J1 was short lived because of that. I suspect a number of other aircraft may have been built with it, but I'm not sure what that group would include.

You might have trouble finding out much about Alamo. That's common for some of the early prop manufacturers. Let us know if you come up with anything.

Comment

Working...
        X