Propeller for Curtiss Jenny JN4C 1917 OX 5 Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propeller for Curtiss Jenny JN4C 1917 OX 5 Engine

Hi all, We were cleaning out a storage shed as part of settling my grandfathers estate about a year ago and ran across a wooden propeller. I sent a few photos a while back to a gentleman who said he thought it was made by Paragon Propeller for the Curtiss JN4C "Jenny" biplane using an OX 5 engine, dated approx. 1917. The propeller is 99" long and the width of the center is 7 3/4", the center hole width is 3 1/4". It has some wood delamination issues, but overall is in pretty decent shape. We have a number of photos we'd be happy to send. Just want to confirm if the information we have is correct and if so, does a propeller like this have any value? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer
    Attached Files

It certainly looks like the typical JN4C propeller that was commonly built by the American Propeller Company (Paragon). A fairly large number of them were sold as surplus in the early twenties. As to value it appears to have been refinished and also to have had the hub enlarged for a clock or similar item, both of which reduce its value considerably. Here's a somewhat similar prop that recently sold on eBay, but was in original condition.

The scimitar shape is considerably more popular as a display item than the straighter forms of design.
    Dave

Comment

Thanks for your help!

Dave - thanks for the information, it was very helpful. We ran it out on eBay last night, so we'll see how it does. Thanks again, Gene

Comment

Good luck. It should do OK.

BTW, are you the same "rosebud" whose pictures I frequently use for some of these propeller/aircraft descriptions?
        Dave

Comment

Not Me

Dave - I've never posted on this forum before. Thanks, Gene

Comment

I will give you $1200 for you Jenny Propeller. Let me know

Comment

Appreciate The Offer

Thanks for the offer. We are trying to sell it, but are hoping we can do better than that. Just put it on eBay yesterday in a Buy It Now or Best Offer format, so we'll see how it does.

Comment

Working...
              X