94" Wooden Propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 94" Wooden Propeller

My grandmother took her pilots training at Stevens college while my grandfather flew B-25s in WWII.

About 20 years ago my parents puchased a propeller for my grandparent's anniversary. They were pretty confident that the propeller was the same propeller that is in a photo of my grandmother standing in front of a fairchild, which is what she apparently trained in.

94" Light wood, 8 bolt holes, brass edging and tip with the following numbers engraved on the hub: 17536, 762-71, A.E. 261

We are trying to figure out some details on this propeller as well as estimate on worth.

I believe your prop is a Fahlin built for a Waco UIC or UBA aircraft. Post 1920's wooden props can look amazingly alike so it's impossible to identify one by its appearance alone.

Its value depends upon several factors including its condition, has it been refinished, does it have original decals, etc. I would echo Dave in another post and recommend watching eBay until one like yours sells. Then you'll have some idea.

Lamar

Comment

94" Wooden Propeller

Thanks for the reply. It has been refinished, but looks very good. There are no decals visible.

I understand via one of the website pages on www.woodenpropeller.com that refinishing a propeller can ruin the value all together.

I can share a photo.

Comment

The fact that it's refinished would explain why there are no decals. Yes, refinishing it does very seriously diminish its value and I do not advocate refinishing a wooden prop. The website you cited above also has excellent preservation techniques that I too have used successfully.

However, you cannot un-refinish it so if YOU like it, enjoy it for its appearance without concern for its resale value. You're the one who gets to live with it.

Lamar

Comment

Lamar:
          Do you believe that refinishing by someone such as Guy Watson still hurts a propeller's value?
          Dwight

Comment

My opinion is that from a collector or antique point of view, most definitely YES! If you planned to fly behind it, NO!

Lamar

Comment

Working...
            X