1940s Sensenich Dealer Clock? Not a cut prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1940s Sensenich Dealer Clock? Not a cut prop

I picked this up at an antiques show yesterday in NJ. The dealer told me it was a clock given to dealers/airport repair shops from Sensenich. It's stamped "Bertha Gast 1942" around the face of the clock. As you can see the decal on the wings say "REPAIR - SERVICE". Anyone familiar with these? Any clue if what I was told is true? It's 24" across.

Thanks for looking.

I suspect that it's authentic and that the time frame is accurate. I'm not sure about the stamping of the name around the hub, however.

Those are the older style "Lititz" decals. I'm also not sure when exactly when they were replaced with the newer Lancaster style, but I suspect it was some time in the 40's.
    Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave. Any idea how common these are? I'm sure I overpaid, just wondering by how much.

Comment

I don't know. I haven't seen one before, but I haven't been looking, either. I have a smaller one manufactured by Paragon around 1920. I don't think there's a particularly large market for them.
        Dave

Comment

Ok, thanks. At least that's better than hearing they're common and go for $25 regularly.

Thanks again,
          Ruben

Comment

curious $

Hello from Dennis in Seattle, if the clock works, then that is one factor, but if the clock doesnt work, it reduces the value. That being said, just curious what the price was that you paid for it if I may inquire? Indeed it is a unique piece, thanks for posting the picture of it.

Sincerely,
            Dennis Hicklin
            Seattle Washington
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Dennis. I bought it from an antiques dealer that specialized in pocket watches. He's a legit old school watch maker and said the clock was cleaned and serviced. As far as I can tell it runs fine and keeps good time. Dealer was making a big deal about making sure I didn't loose the key as it was very difficult to find.

It was a high end antiques show so prices were inflated to begin with. I wound up paying $220 for it. I feel that was high but I wasn't having much luck finding anything else and I thought this was unique enough that if I didn't get it I wouldnt find another.

So, knowing this, what do you think would have been fair?

Ruben

Comment

options

As with anything, its worth what ever someone will pay for it on any given day, that being said, if it were me, I would have stopped at about $130.00 to $140.00, but that is just me. If you are happy with your purchase, then its a good thing, but too late now to frown over money spent, the bottom line is this, your not going to find one of those very easily, so be glad you got it. Thanks for the information.

Sincerely,
                Dennis Hicklin
                Seattle Washington

Comment

Thanks Dennis. That's basically how I felt too. I figured retail would be $150 - $175 which I would negotiate to $125. This had a price on it of $250 and I got it for $220 but with the other stuff I got at a better value I figure it's all a wash. As long as it's not a common thing I could have easily gotten somewhere else cheaper I'm happy with it.

Comment

Working...
                  X