Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heine prop identification

Hello everyone,

I registered here to ask information about a Heine propeller, and what plane it could have been used on:

According to the seller, it is stamped with the following:

BENZ
    MERCE
    I 270
    ST 155
    HEINE
    N6122
    STAW 1260 GEPRUFT P & W HEINE
    PROPELER
    GEPRUFT FLERS ABT 2

He mentions in the ad that it's a D.VII propeller from a 160hp engine (Mercedes D.IIIa?), but I see that it has both 'BENZ' and 'MERCE' stamped on there, and the 'ps' rating is unreadable in the photos. As far as I know, the D.VII did not use Benz engines.

If anyone of you could confirm if this is either a D.VII propeller, or a propeller from another aircraft, or that it simply can't be concluded from this info, I would be very grateful.

Joris

German propellers are often very difficult to identify, as often just the diameter, pitch and HP are recorded. I have 2 Fokker DVII props, one for the Mercedes, and the diameter and pitch are certainly different than yours on that one. I'd have to check through some other stuff to see if the diameter and pitch on yours might be consistent with a DVIII.

Maybe Bob Gardner will come along with some more info . . .
    Dave

Comment

Dave,

Thank you for the quick reply!

Would this then be a bigger propeller than the ones in your posession?

Because I thought Benz engines were the more powerful ones used for two-seaters, such as the DFW.

Edit: At least we can read in the photo that it's from a 6 cylinder engine.

(I didn't see the section of photos before, I'll have a good look through there as well)

Comment

Jorri,

It is not from a Fokker D VII by any stretch of the imagination.

It dates from early in WWI and probably the PS (horse-power) is 120ps, which both Benz and Mercedes achieved with their 6 cylinder engines.

It might possibly be from a Taube, but much more likely to be from a B I aircraft made c1914 by Albatros, AEG, Aviatik, DFW, and LVG.

Because it is a remnant of a propeller with a hub damaged by the insertion of a clock I advise against buying it.

With kind regards,

Bob
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Hello Bob,

Many thanks for your reply.

I would still have bought the object regardless of condition, simply because of my great interest for the D.VII, as a piece for in my own home: with your detailed information (and also Dave's pointer) about its origin you saved me from making a wrong purchase.

So with my gratitude and warmest regards,

Joris

Comment

Glad to help Joris.

You mentioned Benz and Mercedes aero engines. They were different companies then and developed aero-engines in parallel, both begining with 100ps engines in 1914,
            then 150ps Benz and 160ps Mercedes,
            220ps Benz and 260ps Mercedes,
            and finally a 550ps Benz made for the Staaken giant bomber, the R XVI

With kind regards,

Bob
            Bob Gardner
            Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
            http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Clock Propp

Hello All!
              I was offered to buy this propeller in Poland. I have some more photos, I`ve noticed that it has markings of P&W GEPRUFT, does it mean that it was approved to use with PRATT& WHITNEY engines? Also what could be the value of such item? I`m not a propeller collector, but I`d like to have it as an addition to my aviation collection
              Thank You
              Last edited by casper; 12-06-2012, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by casper View Post
                Hello All!
                I was offered to buy this propeller in Poland. I have some more photos, I`ve noticed that it has markings of P&W GEPRUFT, does it mean that it was approved to use with PRATT& WHITNEY engines? Also what could be the value of such item? I`m not a propeller collector, but I`d like to have it as an addition to my aviation collection
                Thank You
                Are you referring to the propeller in the original post or a different propeller altogether??????
                Dave

Comment

Hello
                  Thank You for Your reply
                  I`m reffering exactly to this piece with clock inside.

Comment

Working...
                  X