spad prop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spad prop?

This prop belongs to a friend that wants to establish a fair value, can anyone help?
    The length of this propeller is about 8 feet and the depth at the hub is 8.25 inches. My friend believes, it originally belonged to the French forces deployed in Lebanon during World War I. It was dipped in creosol which he sanded off and had the bare wood varnished, except for the inside of the hub which was painted black. The prop was stored in a supply room at a French facility/airport in Lebanon where aircraft maintenance was conducted. He believes it French because that’s who was in Lebanon at that time. In fact, they stayed there until 1948. They also had the Spad at that time which was initially bought from the French. The “TYPE 1” etched on the propeller does not mean it’s English, He believes the French word for “type” is the same as in English and means the same thing.
    I have look at some Spad props on line and the profile does not quite match can anyone identify and evaluate this prop?
    Attached Files

I'd be very skeptical of all of those claims, and in the absence of legible numbers remaining on the hub positive identification may be impossible.

Note that it's a left hand thread and that the front face is tapered, both suggesting a pusher configuration. Some SPADs used a geared Hisso engine and were therefore left handed threads, but I have to say this doesn't look like any SPAD props I've seen. That doesn't mean that it isn't, but I think it's a stretch to come to that conclusion based on what you've posted.

It may even be a much later (later than WW1) era prop.
    Dave

Comment

Thanks for your help Dave and I agree with your observations, but my knowledge of early wooden props is very limited so any help in identifying this prop or what it may have been manufactured for will be greatly appreciated. I believe my friend is trying to establish a value for a possible sell.

Rick

Comment

One of the problems with refinishing is that the indentifying data is forever lost, and now he's left with a refinished propeller that could have been made any time in about an 80 year span and could have been used on 100's of different planes. It's not worth much, frankly.

If he's going to sell it, the buyer will likely determine what it's worth, not the seller.
        Dave

Comment

Hi,

The TYPE is not "1" but "1510". And yes, it is French. But not from WW1 era.
          It is a Levasseur (a French prop maker) made in the very end of the thirties or beginning of the forties. If you want to get a chance to know for which aircraft/engine it was made, you have to post a picture of the other round side of the hub where it have to be some remnants of markings. And a better picture of one you posted where I can read the prop number (399?1).

Regards,
          PM

PS: And, please, post the exact diameter of the prop (for my database)
          Last edited by pmdec; 12-07-2012, 06:14 PM. Reason: Question about diameter

Comment

PM, I will contact owner and request more and better pictures

Thanks,
            Rick

Comment

Working...
            X