"ASTRA" Propeller on Fokker D.VII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "ASTRA" Propeller on Fokker D.VII

Doea anyone have a front view of this propellor ? I find the profile very interesting - especially the apparant droop or washout on the tips - and need the front profile for a model.

I'm also asking on the "Aerodrome", and one of the experts there has mentioned a similarity to the Wolff, but I really would prefer a photo or drawing to get the shape correct.

TIA

No, but it is interesting and I wonder how it's manufactured, by steam bending the tips or carving them from a larger lamination of woods?

Could it possibly a lens aberration? I don't recall ever seeing actual drooping of the tips. WW1 winglets????
    Dave

Comment

I don't think it's a photo distortion.

It "may" be that the prop has a smoothly curved leading edge ( like a Heine ) and the trailing edge has a "scallop" or indent at the tip end, ( unlike the Heine or other "assymetrical" profile curved leading edge German props which have a more or less straight trailing edge ) which gives the illusion of sweepback in side profile.

These other props in side profile show a curved leading / straight trailing edge.

Photos I've seen of Axial and Wolff propellers, which are basicly symetrical in front profile, show a symetrical side profile - so I think the Wolff comparison is questionable.

Comment

Hello GSPointer,

Welcome to our forum. I don't think I have seen this photo before. Can you e-mail me a copy that I can use in my forthcoming book on German WW1 props?

I have one Astra prop listed for the D VII, a Mercedes 160hp powered D VII (ALB). But no diameter or pitch. Do you have any info on this prop?

My other photographs of Astra props don't show this curve and Astra's construction was conventional.

With kind regards,

Bob
        Bob Gardner
        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
        X