• Show
Clear All

• Help to identify propeller please schreck 17fba

Please help me identify and value of the propeller
    I think that is SCHRECK 17 FBA from France
    and what the meaning number:
    STE or STI 185 67 and letter U and H
    Attached Files

It certainly doesn't look like one that I've seen before. It's a left hand thread, which isn't as common as a right hand thread. The shape and metal sheathing suggest a more modern application (i.e. manufactured after WW1).
    Dave

Comment

Thank you for interesting
      I find more details about it
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FBA_17

Comment

This particular propeller was offered recently on a web auction in Poland. Probably it was used on one of Schreck aircraft which were used by Polish Naval Aviation. First aircraft were ordered in France in 1925. Poland received 6 Schreck FBA-17 HE2 flying boats and 12 amphibious FBA-17 HMT2. The last Polish Schreck 17HE2 was destroyed on 8th of September 1939.
        This prop seems to be original French propeller. Probably it was painted or lacquered black (Tonkilaque?) and was grinded later by previous owner. That's why letters are visible so good.

Comment

Hi,

Sparrow seems right about sandpapered black lacquer: this is why the markings are black.
          SIE is an abbreviation for the French Série (serial) and thus the prop is certainly French.
          LUMIÈRE propellers had this kind of serial numbers (three digits, space, two digits) but other brands could have used the same.
          If the prop is French and from the 1923-1940 era, U and H related to airworthy approvment and are not related to the aircraft nor the engine.

The prop have to be marked on the opposite side with codes for aircraft and engine. Left handed suggests an Hispano 200 to 300 HP, and shielding a seaplane, but without markings, nobody can be sure.
          The prop may have also cetainly markings on a flat side of the hub, around the central hole.
          Please, post pictures of these two sides, give its hub thickness, and it will be perhaps possible to tell more about this prop.

Regards,
          PM
          Last edited by pmdec; 12-25-2013, 07:36 PM. Reason: Correction: Diameter already shows on one pic.

Comment

I added the pictures of other side of hub and the front. The manufacture date is probably 27.11.1925. The engine is Hispano 180 hp.

Regards
            Sparrow
            Attached Files

Comment

Additional pictures of Polish Schreck aircraft. The best I could find with the propeller visible.
              Attached Files

Comment

That explains the left hand rotation with a Hisso engine.
                Dave

Comment

What are you think about worth ?

Comment

See this page. The removal of the original finish and the polishing of the metal sheathing on yours REDUCES the value significantly from what it would get if it were still in original condition. Also, propellers for aircraft that were designed and built after the end of WW1 are not as valuable as those manufactured for aircraft designed and built during or before the war.

An accurate "appraised value' of any propeller is very difficult to determine due to the relatively small number of sales of comparable propellers. Ebay is often a good source of comparison, but items are limited.
                    Dave

Comment

Hi,

Nothing to add to what Sparrow said about identification.

About a value, FBA is not a particularly sought-after aircraft nor are propellers from the 20's. Add to this the prop has been totally scoured and you have a piece of wood with a poor "soul". Except to somebody who really want this one, it would be very difficult to sell it for more than 800€ in France.

PM

Comment

The value of this propeller is probably higher in Poland, because it was used on one of our military aircraft. The highest bid on Polish auction was about 1200 EUR, but it was below expectation of owner.

Regards
                        Sparrow

Comment

Working...
                        X