Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need ID help please...1918 Hembrug Prop

Hello,

I am the proud new owner of a 1918 Nieuport propeller with Hembrug markings. It was listed as a Nieuport 11 propeller, but it seems these aircraft were retired before 1918. I am wondering if it could possibly be a Nieuport 21, or something else. It has associations with a group I work with, so I am trying to get the details correct. I believe the propeller was made for the the 80 hp Le Rhone air cooled rotary engine. Length 245 cm. Information on the propeller:

Model M
    80 pk
    Nieuport
    Spoed 225
    Naaf 1

Pictures are attached.

Thanks for your help,
    Vince
    Attached Files

In an AEF listing of propellers from 1918, both the Nieuport XI and XXI used a 245 cm Levasseur propeller (series 450, 615, and 632), and there were Regy and Eclair models that were a few cms larger. I'm not sure what you mean by "retired", but that often means with respect to military service, but the surplus aircraft were often maintained for years afterwards, including continued production of propellers and other parts.
    Dave

Comment

Hi,
      The shape of your prop is clearly Levasseur-like. With this diameter (245cm), only the props cited by Dave did exist for Nieuport fitted with 80HP Le Rhône engine. All three were for Nieuport XI and XXI (as written by Dave), but 450 had a 220cm pitch and 615 and 632 a 225 cm pitch. Serial 450 width was 195 mm and the other two 165 mm.
      Nor serial 615 nor serial 632 were in French airworthy lists which date from the end of 1917 , only in American papers, so they were made in late 1917 or in 1918.

Regards,
      PM

Comment

Thank you Dave and PM! I greatly appreciate the information. It looks like the propeller could easily have been used for either a Nieuport 11 or 21. From what you have said, it looks like SPOED 225 is the pitch, and 80 PK is the HP. Any chance either of you know what "NAAF 1" or "Model M" represent?

Happy Holidays,
        Vince

Comment

Hembrug was a Dutch company, I believe. The Dutch were neutral throughout WW1. They impounded several, perhaps many, aircraft from the British, French, Belgian and German air forces which landed on Dutch soil.

Perhaps one of our Dutch forumites could tell us more about this prop and its Dutch background.

With kind regards,

Bob
          Bob Gardner
          Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
          http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
          X