S&S Aircraft Propeller Winnipeg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S&S Aircraft Propeller Winnipeg

I have a S&S Aircraft Limited Wooden Propeller.

It is 88 inches long, 9 inches deep at the largest area of the propeller, has 8 mounting holes, depth of mounting area 6 inches.

Stamps include:
    DRG 200 F
    And a serial: SER.R.2140

The two S&S emblems are in my opinion excellent condition

I do not not know a lot about the value of this awesome propeller but I am entertaining all interested buyers.

If you can share any relevant information about this propeller I would appreciate it.. It has been in my basement high and dry for the last 10 years.

Pictures available upon request.

thanks and cheers

Burr

Is this Prop Still for sale please email jwood905@yahoo.com with pictures.
    Best Regards
    J

Comment

S&S prop

I believe that the prop in your possession may have been made by my Grandfather (Leonard Short) and my Father (Douglas Short) who made wooden propellers by Government contract out of Winnipeg.

Was wondering if you still had it as the family would be very interested in purchasing it! Do you have a pic????

Thanks in advance!

Deb

email: debdrn@live.ca

Comment

Hey Burr.. did you sell your propeller?

Comment

Short Storey

Originally posted by debdrn View Post
          I believe that the prop in your possession may have been made by my Grandfather (Leonard Short) and my Father (Douglas Short) who made wooden propellers by Government contract out of Winnipeg.

Was wondering if you still had it as the family would be very interested in purchasing it! Do you have a pic????

Thanks in advance!

Deb

Hey Deb!!
          Jennifer and I were just reading your sisters e-mail and all the attachments.....We too are really curious about our Grandpa's history....as you know, I have the original prototype of Suzy's large propeller....smaller but just as nice!!!!
          What does Burr think he has??? We'd love to know. I'll check in later,
          Love Brenda and Jennifer and Anita

Comment

S&S Propeller

Originally posted by Kotep View Post
            Hey Burr.. did you sell your propeller?
            Hi,

No Not sold...

If you are interested in this propeller I can take some pictures and send them to you.

It is 88 inches long, 9 inches deep at the largest area of the propeller, has 8 mounting holes, depth of mounting area 6 inches.

Stamps include:
            DRG 200 F
            And a serial: SER.R.2140

Comment

Originally posted by Brenda Short View Post
              Hey Deb!!
              Jennifer and I were just reading your sisters e-mail and all the attachments.....We too are really curious about our Grandpa's history....as you know, I have the original prototype of Suzy's large propeller....smaller but just as nice!!!!
              What does Burr think he has??? We'd love to know. I'll check in later,
              Love Brenda and Jennifer and Anita
              I will try and post some pictures of the propeller soon for you to view.

cheers
              Burr

Comment

Originally posted by debdrn View Post

Thanks in advance!

Deb

Deb,

I'd love to hear what you know about the history of the S&S company in Winnipeg. I had previously written to the chamber there, but they had no information on the company.

S&S propellers are not uncommonly found, and they all seem to be from a few models only, notably the Avron Anson for one. My understanding is that S&S manufactured a large number of them just before the Anson switched to metal props (maybe a different engine) and the wooden props became obsolete. Many of them seem to be in excellent conditon, perhaps because of superior manufacturing and varnishing techniques, and I get emails periodically from people interested in selling them.

Sadly, most of these companies that manufactured props didn't leave much behind for those of us who have since been intriqued by their production.
                Dave

Comment

I currently own one of the S&S props it was built in 1942 and made for the Cheetah Mk X engine which was a Avro Ansen Prop.

I am not selling at this time but was looking at buying the second prop fom Burr if he does not sell it to you.

Mine is in mint condition and is a testament to the craftmanship that was involved in making it.

John

Comment

S&S propeller owner

Hello from Dennis In seattle. I own a S&S prop built for avro anson, bought it at oshkosh about 10 years ago, total impulse buy, prop is in good condition and was never refinnished, all of the patina is there. I only dusted it slightly, but did not clean it or wash it. The guy was hard up for rent money, I paid the 750.00 he wanted. In my opinion that was a high price, but as stated, total impulse buy at that time. Through a trusted source, there seems to be an abundant supply of these props in austraila, for about $250.00 apiece, but upon consideration of the props listed here, shipping cost and prices listed here, those props may be long gone at that price, and that information was from 10 years ago. I will post a better picture of it soon. I am not interested in selling it, but would like keep in touch with others that have S&S props, several projects in the future that these props are excellent for. Keep in touch.

Sincerely,
                    D. Hicklin

Comment

Friend has an S & S prop and wants information on this propeller...

Have several photos of the prop, the hub, the markings and the stamps belonging to a friend of mine in Nova Scotia! He is not online and asked me to do some research on the history of the prop for him.

The prop is in great shape and was his brother's (who passed) for many many years... Great to see Short family members on this forum but was hoping more would be posted on the history of the S & S propeller plant

My email is: todster77@gmail.com

Attached Files
                      Last edited by IndianRiverMan; 10-26-2011, 10:31 AM.

Comment

SER A 2941 <--- is stamped on the prop. Not exactly sure how to upload photos to here because I do not know the "url" of the images. Can anyone help in this regard?
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by IndianRiverMan; 10-26-2011, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by IndianRiverMan View Post
                          SER A 2941 <--- is stamped on the prop. Not exactly sure how to upload photos to here because I do not know the "url" of the images. Can anyone help in this regard?
                          For the full description of photo uploading, go here.

The short version is that if they are on your computer click "Edit" on your post, then "Manage Attachments" then "Browse" to find them on your computer and upload them from there.

If they are hosted on a website, open them there then click on the address bar at the top of the screen and copy and paste that long "url", which will start with "http://" and have lots of things after it. Paste that onto the thread or else click the picture icon at the top of the message box and follow the prompt to add the url there.
                          Dave

Comment

Thank you Dave! Seems like the photos are now posted. Plus I sent you and Bob (I think) and Deb some information on the company that I researched this morning via email...

Comment

Haven't seen the decoration around the hub before, nor the indented hub face with stampings around it. I wonder if that's all original factory appearance? If so it's very interesting.
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X