Need help identifying propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help identifying propeller

Can anyone help me identify this propeller, its 9ft in diamater, with some detail near the hub.

Thanks in advance for any information
    Attached Files

Any numbers stamped on it? You won't be able to positively identify it by appearance alone, as there were hundreds of different models that look similar.
    Dave

Comment

Need Help Identifying Propeller

Thanks Dave, the only markings are the ones in the attached images. There might be more if i remove the shroud but if i do that i think the top wooden ring will dissintigrate. One of the markings starts 9 which is the length and by the shroud there is what looks like rotation arrow. The other image is the serial numbers. There are no other markings

Many Thanks

Dave
      Attached Files

Comment

It looks like it's stamped 9' 6", in which case that should be the actual length. Does it look like the tips may be been cut down a few inches each?
        Dave

Comment

Need Help Identifying Propeller

Hi Dave

It could have been cut down, the condition makes it hard to tell. I've attached a pic of the tip.

Thanks again

Dave
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Davewilmot View Post
            Hi Dave

It could have been cut down, the condition makes it hard to tell. I've attached a pic of the tip.

Thanks again

Dave
            Dave, did you have any more thoughts on what this prop might be. Would it be worth removing the metal shield around the hub to see if there is more detail? I have it on my office wall, looks great but would really like to get to the bottom of what it is. Thanks

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Davewilmot View Post
              Dave, did you have any more thoughts on what this prop might be. Would it be worth removing the metal shield around the hub to see if there is more detail? I have it on my office wall, looks great but would really like to get to the bottom of what it is. Thanks

Dave
              Yes, I'm quite sure that it's been cut down, usually due to tip damage. If you flip the photo you provided and look beneath the first line, you'll see what I would expect to see along with diameter, namely pitch in feet and inches, but the actual numbers look as if they've been covered with the shield. A picture of the tip taken end on might also help.

There may be more surprises under there, but I think it's safe to say that it's not original length, and has probably been stripped of original varnish as well.

On second thought, the varnish around the stampings looks very old, so it would be interesting to see if there was evidence of varnish removal around the tips.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Dave; 01-23-2014, 06:00 PM.
              Dave

Comment

Dave,

A few observations at this early stage.

Where do you live? As your patio is not under a foot of muddy water, I assume you don't live in the UK.

Your prop has a British look to it and I guess that it dates from WWI or the 1920's.

The diameter of 9' 6" is rare amongst British props, written in this form, where I have two records but this dimension is more commonly written as 2900mm where I have 29 records.

The two possibilities are;

an Airco DH9 from the end of WW1 where the prop data would be;
                AM2627
                D 9' 6"
                P 6' 9"
                200hp BHP engine

and a Fairey Flycatcher from the 1920's. This delightful naval aircraft had a silver spinner which the aluminium shroud on your hub might relate to. The prop data is;
                19044A
                D 9' 6"
                Armstrong Whitworth Jaguar

I think you should remove the shroud (with due care so it can be replaced) and see what is stamped on the hub.

You should not pay too much attention to my guess work above. Both are merely possibilities. The data on the hub will provide the answer.

With kind regards,

Bob
                Last edited by Bob Gardner; 02-03-2014, 11:52 AM.
                Bob Gardner
                Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
                http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Working...
                X