84 inches prop with 8 holes in the center knob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 84 inches prop with 8 holes in the center knob

I have had this propeller for several years. I've no idea what company manufactured it or what plane it was design for.
    On the decals: RLLCo
    Markings on top of the center knob:
    L-L-M-345
    DES.86.M.54
    RPM.2220
    OCT 42

It is 84 inches long, approx 7 3/8 wide at the center, 4 inches shaft in diameter with 8 holes.
    Recovered on the edges with brass
    I was told it could have been on an Avro Anson but not sure!!!

I could post some pictures if needed

Thanks

Ray
    Attached Files
    Last edited by rgosse23; 03-04-2012, 01:40 PM. Reason: photos

post the pictures please

Indeed, the pictures are more than helpful, they are essential, please post some pictures. I believe those initials RLLco stand for " Robert Lang Lumber Company " I almost got it right, that should be Robert Laidlaw lumber company "

Sincerely,
    Dennis Hicklin
    Seattle Washington
    Attached Files
    Last edited by D.Hicklin; 03-04-2012, 06:20 PM.

Comment

pictures

Hi Dennis,
      I have posted some pictures and I remembered that I was told it could have been on an Avro Anson, but not absolutly sure.

Thanks

Comment

Nice looking prop with clear decals. It certainly looks similar to other Anson props, but to be sure you'd need to match the numbers with a list for that manufacturer. If you come across one let us know and we'll see if Lamar can add it to his listings.
        Dave

Comment

markings and dimensions

Just looking at the S&S " anson prop " I own, the markings show that its for a armstrong siddely mark 9 engine, and on one blade close to the hub, the letters " SSSS 150 E " the dimensions are from tip to tip 89 & 1/2 inches, and the hub is 9&1/2 inches, and the shaft size is 3&3/16ths inches. So my prop is slightly different than the dimensions listed for your RRLCO prop. While indeed they both may have been used on ansons, so many variations on model numbers and such, very hard to tell if your prop used on an ansons.

That being said, indeed, that is a great looking prop. When you look at the finish on the wood with a magnifier lense, it has the little micro crackings you get when varnish is old. But when you look at how clean and bright and shiney the leading edge metal is, either it was cleaned with steel wool before being sealed, or it was never flown on what ever plane it was made for. I found the " flaw " on the wood that looks like it was burnt or maybe a worm hole to be interesting. Also the fact that the stampings are all darker and very clear to read, on my prop which was never cleaned or refinnished, the markings are there, but are not as dark in the stampings as on your prop. Rare it is to have such clean and clear decals, you are most fortunate that yours appear to be very original and undamaged. It should bring a nice price when its sold.

Sincerely,
          Dennis Hicklin
          Seattle Washington
          Attached Files

Comment

anson

Many thanks for the information

Comment

Working...
            X