Propeller Identification help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propeller Identification help

Hello I am curious if anyone can tell me anything about a propeller I have. It’s is a little over 9 feet long and it has curved blades. It was taken out of a barn and looks to be untouched with original finish. There are 6 mounting bolt holes. There are also brass tip covers arhat are held on with many flat nails. The only markings are D9 P7 and NO 175. There are a few pieces missing on the edges of the blade.I posted a couple pictures. Hopefully they came through. I’m not sure of age because of the 6 holes. Thanks for your help. The only thing I was told is that they thought it came off of a very early biplane. After reading the forum the 6 bolts look like it might be made more recently. Thank you
    Attached Files
    Last edited by sanger22; 08-28-2019, 01:38 PM. Reason: More information

There were not many 6 bolt hubs on “early” propellers, but that primarily refers to WW1 propellers. Prior to that there were some “earlier” props that had fewer bolt holes, even as few as five or four. Yours really has an early look, so don't assume much just yet. I'll try to see if I can find more information.

Comment

Thank you, if you need any additional photos please let me know
      Attached Files

Comment

Does this photo help? Number of bolt holes correct but also the holes on the mounting plate appear to be consistent with the witness marks on the propeller in question.
        The photo is of the Shuttleworth Collection’s 1909 Bleriot IX and, although the propeller in question is, at 9 feet diameter, probably too big to be from this type, might it be from a different aircraft using the Anzani engine? Airship perhaps?
        Andy
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Mtskull; 08-29-2019, 11:48 AM.

Comment

That's certainly a good possibility. I don't know enough about Anzani hubs to say, but the metal hub similarity is certainly suggestive of an Anzani engine. I measured the center bore of this propeller at just about 1 3/4 inches, which looks consistent with this one.

This propeller is for a 125 HP Anzani and obviously uses a different hub, with 8 bolt holes.

Hopefully PMdec will see this and offer an opinion. I get the feeling that it is an early and perhaps rare model.

Comment

The center hole diameter is 2 inches. The hub thickness is 5 3/8 inches. The hub diameter is 8 1/16. The bolt hole diameter is 3/8 of an inch although difficult to accurately measure. The distance from The middle of opposite bolt holes is 6 1/2 inches.
            Attached Files

Comment

The best way to measure a bolt hole is to use a drill (or a dowel) and see what size fits best.

Comment

Originally posted by sanger22 View Post
                The center hole diameter is 2 inches. The hub thickness is 5 3/8 inches. The hub diameter is 8 1/16. The bolt hole diameter is 3/8 of an inch although difficult to accurately measure. The distance from The middle of opposite bolt holes is 6 1/2 inches.
                I can’t find a definitive dimension for the hub bolt circle of the 3 cylinder Anzani engine but I have found a drawing which shows the distance between the upper pair of crankcase bolts as 140mm, i.e. a little over 5 1/2 inches. The distance between opposite hub bolt centres is clearly smaller than this, which would appear to rule out my suggestion that this engine may have been the application for this propeller.

Comment

Thank you I will try using a dowel to measure the diameter of the hole.

I appreciate your efforts trying to determine the propeller application. I looked the propeller over really well and I could not find any other markings. I can’t even find where there may have been decals that may have worn off. There are not even any remnants or variations in the wood where the were at one time. Should there have been decals on it when it was new? I appreciate everyone’s knowledge and assistance.

Comment

The absence of decals may also suggest an earlier (i.e. pre-WW1) manufacture, although quite a few WW1 era manufacturers also did not use decals.

It goes without saying that you should not try to "restore" this prop in any way, but I said it anyway.

Comment

Thank you,I appreciate your input. The person that I acquired it from said to me that it was sitting in his property for a long time and he was recently thinking that he should sand it and give it a new coat of varnish. After reading the forum comments I’m glad that I took possession before he touched it. I have only wiped a layer of dirt off of the surface with a very damp cloth. Nothing other than that.

Comment

Sanger,

I advise polishing it with pure beeswax. You will probably be delighted by the effect. Only use pure beeswax which comes in a tin from B & Q. A day later, do it again.

Don't use the aerosol polish widely available in GB which contains modern silicones. These are too powerful for 100 year old finishes and will cause a bloom.

With kind regards,

Bob
                        Bob Gardner
                        Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
                        http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Bob,
                          Thank you. I will do that. I appreciate your help.
                          Sincerely, John

Comment

Im sure this probably isn’t much help but I was searching for antique propellers on the internet. Early flight is fascinating. I wonder what the survival rate was for flying in the early 1900s. I did see a few propellers that looked close. This one has the same overall shape and it also had the extra bolt hole in the hub that is closer to the middle of the hub. The hole is about 3 inches out and the photo I have attached has the same hole. It’s hard to see in the picture. Maybe many of the older propellers have this extra hole but this is the only other one I found.
                            Thanks, John
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X