Can anyone explain the insignia on this Jenny propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone explain the insignia on this Jenny propeller

Looking for assistance/guidance identifying serial number D5000 16263 or anchor with US insignia. Thank you. Propeller Purportedly from a Jenny plane, 1920s.
    Attached Files

The first image may represent a Paragon propeller. (The "P" was assigned to the American Propeller Manufacturing Company, which produced Paragon props.)

The numbers below it indicate the diameter and pitch of the prop. So it should be 8 feet in length and (in a mathematical sense only) should move forward 5 feet 3 inches per revolution.

I'm just a bit skeptical that it's definitely from a Jenny because of the U.S. Navy stamping, but it is the correct size for one.

I don't know about the bottom photo numbers. Can you post a picture of the whole prop?

Comment

THANK you so much for answering. I've uploaded a pix of the WHOLE prop limited to 97.7 KB.
      Attached Files

Comment

It's hard to tell from that angle, but you need to measure the distance from the center of one bolt hole to the center of the bolt hole furthest away from it. That's the bolt circle diameter, and it can eliminate one or more engine types from the possibilities.

Comment

Update on measurements

Prop has a 2" shaft with 47" out from there, so 96" total span. Will this work?

Comment

You still need to find the bolt hole circle diameter. It's a critical diameter since it can rule out certain engines. I'm just guessing though that it fits either an OX5 engine or a Hall-Scott A2A engine, but those will have different hubs.

Comment

Bolt Hole Circle diameter

Does this work Dbahnson for you to better identify the propeller?
              Bolt Hole circle diameter
              6 inch plate 8 bolts 2 in part

Thanks. Heidi

Comment

No, your measurements are confusing. See this link.

Comment

Ok. Back to the prop for better dimensions. Thanks for sending me the link.
                  Heidi

Comment

Does this work?
                    So it's 6" plate from edge to edge. Here's a photo.
                    There are 8 bolts positioned at 2" apart from each other. Spans are 5-1/8" away from the far bolt dead center making them about 3/4" from the edge of the plate.
                    Photo attached.
                    Attached Files

Comment

This is the distance that defines the bolt hole circle:

Attached Files

Comment

Here is the requested measurement (I hope!):
                        5 1/4 inches based on your diagram at http://woodenpropeller.com/forumvB/a...1&d=1559913957
                        Thank you for being so patient with me!
                        Heidi

Comment

So I think it's highly probable that it was made for a Curtiss OX5 engine. The problem comes with the fact that that engine was used on a whole range of different aircraft, so while the JN4 might have been one of them, there's usually no way to establish that fact to a buyer, for instance.

Comment

Thank you

Thank you so much for your time in trying to determine the origin of this particular propeller. Good enough answer - "probable". At least we know it was "probably" made for a Curtiss OX5 engine.
                            Best regards,
                            Heidi

Comment

Working...
                            X