ww 2 wooden propeller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ww 2 wooden propeller

I have a wooden propeller made by the S&S aircraft ltd in Winnipeg. It is 85 "
    long with leading edge made of brass. Ther are 2 sets of numbers on the prop,
    SS-SS.220.d. and SER.W.3015. Any History and possible value on this would be of tremedous value to me.Thank you in advance D.Olds
    Attached Files
    Last edited by decibeldew; 01-19-2012, 01:07 PM. Reason: adding photos

please post pictures of your S&S prop

Hello from Dennis in Seattle. As an owner of a S&S prop, I would be interested in seeing some current pictures of your prop.

Sincerely,
    Dennis Hicklin
    Seattle Washington
    Last edited by D.Hicklin; 01-19-2012, 08:14 AM.

Comment

took me a while to post them but here they are (pics)

Comment

appreciation

Great pictures of your S&S prop. I would like to hear the story of how long you have had the prop and how you came to own it. It appears that someone has taken good care of it. The pictures are appreciated. So what are your plans for this prop, are you going to sell it? or are you just wanting the history of the company that made it, bear in mind, there has been some sketchy stories of the exact history of the S&S company that was in Winnipeg.

I shall wait to see what kind of value lamar and dave will put on this prop before I post my thoughts as well.

Sincerely,
        Dennis Hicklin
        Seattle Washington

Comment

there are also some stampings on the hub that bear
          D 85 (diameter)
          P 61 (pitch)
          Ranger 6.440.c5.
          July 1943
          I have had this prop for 6-7 yrs
          Got it while cleaning out a garage for a lady whose Father was entering a retirement home!

Comment

treasures that surface

An excellent find indeed. So that tells me a lot, at least there isnt any real sentimental attachment to this particular propeller. A lot of them were made for the Avro Anson, which had chetah mark 9 engines, so the stamping that says ranger is intrigueing. What part of the country are you if I may inquire.

Sincerely,
            Dennis Hicklin
            Seattle Washington

Comment

I have done some research myself and I believe it was from an Avro Anson (perhaps).The ladies Father was a past president at our local airport at one time
              so it is very intriguing to me also.I live in southern Ontario ,CanadaWho are those other people you were referring to in your previous post (Dave & Lamar)

Comment

dave and lamar

Dave is the moderator of this site and lamar is one of the contributing members that is equally knowledgeable about the various makes of props on this site. It will be interesting to see the progress of this prop as others that log on and see it, will I am sure, express interests in it. I assume this is the first time you have posted on this site and possibly this is the first time you have considered selling this prop.

Sincerely,
                Dennis Hicklin
                206 227 2503
                Last edited by D.Hicklin; 01-19-2012, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Yes I would like to sell it but I want to make sure it will be going to someone who can enjoy it and offer it at a fair market value

Comment

Well, my main interest is in the "early" (WW1 era) props, but this model turns up very frequently here, and it seems to be one that also frequently appears on eBay. The same model was manufactured by several other manufacturers as well, but it seems that S&S leads the pack in that regard.

Apparently there were a very large number of these made for that engine/aircraft and were stockpiled when the metal, variable pitch propeller came out and made the wooden ones obsolete. That's why most of them are in such good condition - they were never mounted and used.

I don't dare set a "value" on it at this point. I've noticed a very signficant trend for much higher prices for modern propellers sold on eBay in the past 6 months or so. "Modern" props that had been selling for years in the $600 to $700 range suddenly seem to be selling for more like $1500 and some even higher. I think your best bet is to log into eBay and search under "wooden propeller" then check the "completed listings" box to see some actual sales. Keep in mind that this is NOT a particularly rare or hard to find item.
                    Dave

Comment

price reality

Dear Mr. Olds.
                      Dave is quite right, there are a lot of these props that exist, because of the fact that so many never got used. They are beautiful works of art, but are not rare.

Now the poker game begins. The element of logistics as a factor to be considered. I figure about a minimum of about $300.00 or more to crate it and ship it to seattle, this isnt even considering the estimated prices listed by Dave.

If it goes to e bay, it can be a wild ride as the end of the auction approaches. Many will wait till the last minute to up the bid. Bear in mind, many will also be trying to low bid it as well to compensate for the shipping cost.

I shall wait to see if you get any serious offers on it on this site. Thank you for your continued participation.

Sincerely,
                      Dennis Hicklin
                      Seattle Washington

Comment

Thank you both,Dave and Dennis, for your Knowledgable input.It Is quite exciting to see so much info being generated on this prop.I guess I will wait and see what kind of offer it brings .Thank you again for your time.

Comment

Originally posted by D.Hicklin View Post
                          Dave is the moderator of this site and lamar is one of the contributing members that is equally knowledgeable about the various makes of props on this site.
                          Thank you for your kind words but make no mistake - Dave is way, WAY more knowledgeable than I.

Lamar

Comment

Working...
                          X