A possible DGA-3 Pete prop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A possible DGA-3 Pete prop?

[FONT="Times New Roman"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Our museum has a propeller in its collection that is claimed to be from a 1937 Howard airplane.
    The Fahlin wooden propeller is 108"long and has an 8-bolt mounting pattern. The data information on the back side says:
    FAHLIN. D-400
    NO.3442 H.P.100
    R.P.M.1400
    ATC-135[FONT="Times New Roman"]
    Our research indicates prop could be for Curtiss Wright Gipsy or Curtiss OX-5/OXX-6.

Benny Howard's DGA-3 "Pete" had the Gipsy engine w/ wood prop, but only flew in 1932 air races. Northwest Airways was a Waco distributor and they had the OX-series of engines. Any help to determine owner/use/engine will be appreciated. Thanks.
    Attached Files

On this list there are numerous aircraft that are listed as suitable for use with the D-400 model Fahlin propeller, so in my opinion it could be any one of those. The Howard doesn't appear on that list, but that doesn't completely exclude it as a possibility.

That model (D-400) under Type Certificate #135 actually had two versions, one with a bolt hole circle that was 5 1/4" (same as an OX5 hub) and one with a bolt hole circle of only 5" and six bolt holes. The OX5 hub had eight bolt holes and a bolt circle diameter of 5 1/4", so yours does match with an OX5 hub. I don't know what the hub dimensions were for the Curtiss Wright Gypsy engine, but if it had 6 bolt holes that would eliminate it as a possibility.

Interestingly, the information I show for that model number and Type Certificate shows the diameter to be 102", not 108", so I can't explain that discrepancy.

Comment

The discrepancy of 108" vs 102" can be attributed to fat finger typo and poor editing!

Comment

Working...
      X