De Haverland Propeller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• De Haverland Propeller?

I have an old wooden propeller with the following markings on the hub. DE H 9A. 90HP CURTIS. TSDX2. DNG AB8963. D2650. P1660. i have owned it for about 40 years so I would like to know more about it and its value.
    history?
    50.00%
    aircaft using it?
    50.00%

Looks like it was used for a DH9 with an OX5 engine, but you can't tell its value without knowing its condition.
    Dave

Comment

Norman,

There is an error in the data somewhere.

The DH9A aircraft generally used engines in the range of 300-400hp.

The Curtiss OX5 engine at 90hp was used in the DH6 with diameter and pitch very similar to the numbers you quote; and drg no AB8961 was for such a DH6.

If possible could you let me know the G and N numbers if they are readable and aslo the AID nos in those tiny little boxes, about half the size of your little-fingernail.

With regards,

Bob
      Bob Gardner
      Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
      http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

De Haveland

Bob,
        I've looked again at the prop and the numbers stamped on it are:-
        Face (front) of boss - G1613 & N20

I also misread the previous information which reads 90 HP CURTIS OX2, not TSDX2 as previously suggested.

The prop is in unused condition, but there is a 1/8" hole in each end approx 3" from the tip, where it had been mounted on a wall before I aquired it.

regards
        Norman

Comment

Thanks Norman,

This batch number (G1613) dates the prop to late 1919 or early 1920. The Curtiss engine was used by the Royal Naval Air Service to power the Curtis Jenny 3 and 4 and also the Maurice Farman and the DH6. It is most likely that your prop comes from a DH6, particularly as drg no AB8961 is for a DH6 and your drg no is only 2 digits away at AB8963.

With kind regards,

Bob
          Bob Gardner

Comment

De haveland.

Thanks Bob,
            Now that I know what it is I can try to get a value on it with a view to selling it!!
            Regards Norman.

Comment

Norman,

Your prop has a value at aucion of around 1000 GBP, say 1600 USD. It might be upto a couple of hundred pounds more if two enthusiasts bid against each other.

If you are in GB send me an e-mail using the e-mail link on my website below and I will advise on the best auction houses to sell a prop.

With regards,

Bob
              Bob Gardner

Comment

Working...
              X