Imperial Propeller Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imperial Propeller Identification

Hello, could you please identify which aircraft could correspond to this prop? What is the approximate value?

Thank you!
    Attached Files

I don't know what it was designed for, but it's certainly a nice looking prop.

Maybe Bob Gardner will know.

Comment

The prop is in good condition and the owner would like to sell it. He doesn't speak English, so I posted the pictures here. Considering the length of the prop, it is surprising that it has only six bolt holes. It is possible that the prop was never used on an aircraft and the bolts were drilled later for whatever reason?

Comment

Hi,

There is a French made Chauvière with quite the same dimensions, the serial 2410-1, with 270 cm diameter and 150 cm pitch. It was used for test flights of the Rumpler fitted with a 110 HP Benz.
        Here a pic of a Benz Bz II 100 HP with clearly a 6 bolts propeller: https://www.flickr.com/photos/andybailey/25768441824
        So, the one you show, (which is very attractive!), seems "normal".

Regards,
        PM

Comment

With reference to the post above, early German aero-engines, c1912-c1914, had hubs with six bolts. Within a year the development of the Mercedes engine to 160ps led to the use of eight bolt-holes.

I have recorded six early prop-makers who made props for the 6 cylinder 100ps Mercedes engines. Incidentally, the power output of this Mercedes engine increased quickly from the 4 Zylinder 70ps engine to the 6 Zylinder 100ps, 110ps, 120ps and 160ps engines.

Known makers of propellers for early aircraft with 100ps engines are listed below, with the aircraft type (where known) written here in red, showing the data as stamped on the prop hub.

Anker Walther
          Axial Pfalz E.V (hub marked 100ps and later over stamped to 110ps)
          Behrend und Ruggerbrecht
          Fliegel
          Garuda LVG B.III
          Germania Alb B.2 masch
          Halberstadt
          Heine Rumpler Taube, B.1 Ed: probably an Alb B.1
          Integral Alb Doppeldecker Ed: Alb B.1 or Alb B.2
          Imperial
          Markgraf und Tau
          Rahtjen
          Reschke Rumpler Taube
          Saturn
          Schwarz
          Last edited by Bob Gardner; 10-29-2019, 09:18 AM.
          Bob Gardner
          Author; WW1 British Propellers, WWI German Propellers
          http://www.aeroclocks.com

Comment

Thank you for your reply!

The owner is very grateful for the information I could forward to him.

The materials (apparently ash and walnut) are typical for the early German propellers.

Do your books include listings like you sent in your reply, Bob?

Comment

Working...
            X