Looking for info on GB Lewis prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for info on GB Lewis prop

I found a prop in fair to good condition in the crawlspace of a house I just moved into. It is marked GB Lewis, and DES. L11B-42.

I looked on the Lewis site but that number isn't listed. An L11BK-42 is listed for the Continental A-65 on a number of airplanes, but I don't know if this is what I have. The brass leading edges are in good condition, but the fabric covering on the tips is peeling and torn on one end. There are some small nicks and dings overall, but not bad shape. Any idea what I have?

Are these props just good for wall hangers or could it be restored to service? I happen to own an A-65-8 engine and would consider using this prop if it could be done safely and I could find out more about it. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks,

Patrick Sween

They usually are not airworthy, although that would depend to some extent on the degree of diligence on the part of the mechanic inspecting it.

That "K" in the hub designation seems to be included in some other models as well, but I'm not sure what it signifies. I think for purposes of establishing history of past use, as a display propeller, it can probably just be ignored.
    Dave

Comment

Thanks

I just found out the previous owner of the home owned a J3 Cub, so the number on the prop fits with that usage. I'm an A&P, but don't have a lot of experience with older wooden props, so any advice on what to look for in a mechanic to inspect/refurbish this prop? My relatively inexperienced eye tells me that it could be airworthy with a bit of clean up, but I know just enough to know how little I know! If it turns out to be not airworthy, it's still a great wallhanger with some known history.

Patrick

Comment

I had a fairly recently manufactured prop for my Cub fail to pass annual inspection a few years ago. It looked perfect to me but there was some very tiny (almost invisisble) cracking along the sheathing where the rivets go through.

Personally, I'd consider sending it to Sensenich or some other prop manufacturer and let them decide if it's aiworthy or not.
        Dave

Comment

Good idea

It makes sense that a manufacturer would be best able to look it over. I'll see what I can find out. Thanks for the info and advice.

Patrick

Comment

Working...
          X