Gipsy Major Prop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gipsy Major Prop

I have just picked up a Gipsy Major Prop The markings on it are as follows L-DH 5220-2 0.633.1 4-42 Feb 43 LL 5327

Demensions 76 1/4 long blade width7 1/2 9" accross hub 2 3/4 bore size for shaft. Yellow fabric on front face Balck paint on rear face. Brass leading edge. Light coloured wood possibly Maple

There is a number 8 on face of hub.

I found it in a farmers shop. Not in the best of shape. I would love to find out any info on this prop. My brother is a pilot and I was going to make Him the " idiot clock" that I saw remarked in this forum. I had no Idea that it could be WW2 vintage .. Is it worth keeping in the shape it is in or should I refinish it I do finish wood work and am at a loss as which way to go. Any input would be truely appreciated

The condition isn't really that bad.

You shouldn't try to refinish it unless you don't care about its value. Try cleaning it up with turpentine then rubbing several coats of linseed oil on it, allowing it to cure between coats.

If you do that, post a picture of it afterwards.
    Dave

Comment

Thanks for your input Dave

Do you have any more info you could possibly tell me Actual date of Manufacture I assume it is Feb 43 What type of plane or engine may it have been used on. What might it be worth. Don't really care but currious. Want to be sure I was fair with the fellow I got it from..

Comment

I suspect your date is accurate, and presumably that's the date of manufacture.

I don't know much about British type props from that era. Bob Gardner checks in here periodically and might be able to tell you more about it. (If you go to your post and click "Edit", then check the box to notify you of any responses to your thread, you'll get an email if and when another response is posted. This is a slow forum most of the time. )
        Dave

Comment

same prop

i just found the same prop. what else have you found out aboutit?? what it came off the year and value??? thanks

Comment

Working...
          X